Fly Fusion Forums

What Weight Rods?

... for me, I gotta say I like to fight fish. In fact, it is the primary reason I picked up a fly rod. It is fun to catch fish on a fly rod. If I wanted to get them in quickly, I know better tools to do that with.

I do apologize for the hijacking. It's just that it gets my dander up when a statement is made that unjustifiably condemns another flyfisher's technique.

There is a fair amount of literature on this subject although most of it is taken out of context. Research or studies done on southern or stagnant waters where oxygenation of the water is itself an issue may not be entirely applicable to Alberta streams. It seems to me that research done on our local streams is more appropriate.

That said, I’m not adverse to fishers who "heel 'em" or prefer the longer battle. Depending on the situation, I’m both. I just think that mutual respect and courtesy should be at least part of the fly fishing doctrine. Ignorant condemnation, I believe, is counterproductive.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...unjustifiably condemns another flyfisher's technique.

...Ignorant condemnation, I believe, is counterproductive.

Like you say: "respect and courtesy". It goes both ways. I will respect your opinion and will try to refrain from suggesting ignorance. Please do the same.

I will respect your opinion and will try to refrain from suggesting ignorance. Please do the same.

The hijacking continues ... Ignorance, by definition, is a lack of knowledge, learning and/or information. We are all ignorant in this particular situation because insufficient research has been conducted to make an educated evaluation. We can each cite papers or studies that support our individual opinions and beliefs but the fact remains that there is no definitive position on this issue. As such, condemning other fishers for practicing arguably acceptable techniques is what I took exception to. Taking exception to my use of the word "ignorant" simply reiterates my point.

Taking exception to my use of the word "ignorant" simply reiterates my point.

There you go again. I will refrain from pointing out your ignorance about my understanding of the word ignorant. ;) I took exception because its inflammatory.

in·flam·ma·to·ry

–adjective 1. tending to arouse anger, hostility, passion, etc.: inflammatory speeches.

I suggest you stay away from the Global Warning debates, or the use of nets debates or a myiad of other debates that goes on in this forum. They are packed full of ignorance, by your definition. Since there is no "definitive position on this issue", I reserve the right to believe what I believe and feel the way I feel. I hope you will respect that without making inflamatory statements.

This is the last posting I'll make on this subject. I promise.

Respect.

The hijacking continues ... Ignorance, by definition, is a lack of knowledge, learning and/or information. We are all ignorant in this particular situation because insufficient research has been conducted to make an educated evaluation. We can each cite papers or studies that support our individual opinions and beliefs but the fact remains that there is no definitive position on this issue. As such, condemning other fishers for practicing arguably acceptable techniques is what I took exception to. Taking exception to my use of the word "ignorant" simply reiterates my point.

Pseudonym,

I am not sure which studies you have cited. The one about hooking mortality on the Bow also cites studies on fighting fish to exhaustion, exposure to air and water temperature as being detrimental to fish survival. I think one would be hard pressed to find a study that says they are not a factor in hooking mortality.

I am sorry if you feel condemned, I don't think that was anyone's intention. The idea of these forums is to openly discuss things that affect fish and fishing; so people can have a full range of information when making a decision. It seems pretty clear to me that it would be wise to get fish in fresh, take a picture of it in the water and try to do so when the water is not too warm. It hasn't hurt my fishing.

Best regards,

Tim