Fly Fusion Forums

Real Smart...alberta Govmnt

????? There's some development in the L Smoky area, but no mining leases I'm aware of. There is a sheeitload of wolves though. I'm not a fan of poison, but I saw lots and lots of wolf tracks on the Smoky, and no caribou. At least the AB gov't has the balls to do a wolf control program, unlike over here.

Alberta-Work33.jpg <----------Smoky

I dunno Weedy. That country is a lot more untouched than most of the 'bou country over here. From my experience, it's mostly forest. I didn't pay enough attention to the wildlife issues during my stay, but it seemed to me like a lot of the immediate ares the caribou use are protected from development. I hate to say it, but poison works better than fencing cut lines.....and anyone who wants to cite Farley Mowat as a reliable source of wolf knowledge.....skeptical I am.

There is a good point in one of those biased articles about reforestation and making the area more suitable for moose. Moose are probably as bad for caribou as wolves are.....

Wow…this post is very coincidental to the conversations I have had with our some of our field operators yesterday. We were talking about the sightings of woodland caribou in the area (sturgeon lake), and I called Bull Sh!t. They would have to prove to me there were Caribou this far south. So the guys gave me a tour of some of our protected properties of the area. They said that these protected areas are in direct response to protecting the migration pattern of the Little Smokey heard. As well, the protection area boundaries extent to accommodate the water shed of the Simonette.

<_<