Fly Fusion Forums

The Krenik Red

albannachxcuileag

Krenik metallic thread first came to my attention in an SBS from a South African tyer who used the material stripped down for the metallic component only. Off to the local crafts & Knitting emporium and try and find the stuff, I managed to get Red and Blue, the blue being the one sought for the South African nymph pattern, the red? Well it is shiny and no fly tyer can resist seeing shiny things!

TheKrenik.jpg

So, 6 months down the line and the Red had not seen light of day until looking at a different buzzer pattern I thought about it again and dragged it out for a play and thus the Krenik Red was born!

Materials:-

Hook - Grip 14723BL Size 12 - you can use any curved hook such as Kamasan B100s etc

Bead - Red Gutermann Rocailles 9/0 Art. No 773875

Thread - Krenik Metallics Ruby Shade 061

Assemblage of the bobbin

Take a used small bobbin and tape the end of the thread to the spool

Spooling.jpg

Stuff a pencil or similar object in the hole and start winding on the thread and fill the bobbin. I stuck the Krenik spool onto the end of my bobbin rest arm for easy turning as I filled the spool

PencilWork.jpg

Fit the small bobbin to a standard bobbin holder or a wide one using Mr Tupp's incredible reducers

LoadedBobbin.jpg

Mount a bead on your hook of choice and secure in the vice

BeadonHook-1.jpg

Leave a longish tag on the thread so that it will stick out from the end of the abdomen

Startthread.jpg

Run the thread to the bend area and back up to the eye

StartAbdomen.jpg

Build up a smooth tapering abdomen with the thread. The advantage of the Krenik thread is that it does not give you a solid colour build up but has black flecks from the carrier thread that show in the abdomen as you build it up.

Buildup.jpg

Once you have done this apply 3 half hitches behind the eye and cut off the thread

Giveitahitch.jpg

Apply a drop of varnish behind the eye to secure

Justadab.jpg

Tease out the metallic part from the carrier thread and remove the carrier thread. Trim the metallic thread to about 8 - 10mm and you are ready to go.

Completed-1.jpg

You can also coat the buzzer with varnish, superglue or epoxy if you wish but I can tell you that it is extremely effective as it is accounted for 4 fish netted and 6 lost on the take in an afternoon of difficult fishing for other anglers at my local lake.