Fly Fusion Forums

April Options

PlayDoh

I plan on fishing my arse off this year, and starting soon. I'm wondering if others can make some suggestions for April FF'ing.

I know the options are few at the moment, Worms, Midges, Golden/yellow stone-flies, hares ear. I'm thinking this time of year the fish are beginning to spend a good portion of the day in feeding lies, but still staying close to winter holes. Also the weather on any given day can limit the few options available.

I'm still new and I'm always looking for advice rather then having faith I'm at the right spot with the right tackle. I'm certainly not asking for locations, but rather leader (length/type), fly, indicator, weight setups, and water depths and speeds (I.E Seams, Pools, Slow-water, ect) I can look for and use.

I've been using a 9' leader tied usually to a SJW, and another foot or so to either a tiny midge, or a Hares ear. I try to add enough weight so I occasionally snag bottom. I haven't been out much, but a single BB seems to be enough weight where I have been to. I'm testing out a bunch of indicators, yet I don't have a "Thing-a-ma-bob" which looks like the best, (soft plastic balls with an eye).

I'm not looking for a step by step, just wondering what kind of setups people are using, and plan on using soon.

try fishing some streamers too dude..stripping or swingin in em top too bottom on the run u intend too fish......... u seem too have the basics nailed down.. try working with a 3rd fly.the bwos will be hatching soon too and you might halfto spend some time wandering the flats looking for snouts with a bwo parachute size 18.....try swingin some emerger rigs too and wetfly's when the olives are hatchin..... might get some caddis happenin too later in the month (fingers crossed)

pick up a mapbook of of alberta or southwestern alberta and check out some new access points.....

Playdoh, sounds like you're on the right track with the flies. Try a longer leader (just add some extra tippet to the end of your 9 footer) and a smaller shot to change the angle your leader is at in the water. It may make a difference. Also, make sure you're mending the line to ensure a drag free drift with the nymphs. I usually mend at least three times during the length of a drift and often several more. Streamers, like Maxwell suggested are also excellent. In a couple of weeks, start looking for the bwos to start hatching, and when you see a few, look for shallow flat eddies beside pool tailouts. Those have been the absolute best spots for early springs risers for me. For some reason the spring bwo hatch doesn't turn fish on like the fall hatch, but when you find some working, it's a blast.

Had some troubles w/ indicators because I'm not really a corky guy. IMO the giant hard ones with the toothpicks hit the water too hard and are not nearly as responsive enough. I got some yarn ones and dressed with a bit of paste and some powder they float wonderfully. Love yarn, sensitive, easy to cast and lands softly on the water. For flies this time of year mix it up rather that the hare’s ear all the time (no doubt its a great fly) go to smaller PT, midges, and dark buggy things in general. I wait until it's warmer to bring out the size 12 hare’ s ear just because that type of nymph is more abundant in summer. That being said its still a decent fly for winter.

Those are my tips!