Fly Fusion Forums

Two Hander Fishing Guide, Vancouver

alhuger

All,

I managed to get out for a steelheading trip this last week around Vancouver. I had a great time and managed to get a fantastic guide who specializes in two hander fishing. It was like drinking from a fire hose in terms of learning and was definitely worth it, especially if you have never steelheaded and (or) your new to two hander fishing. I fished a two hander the entire trip with a skaggit set up (both 450 and 550 grain) and fished water I would not have otherwise been able to cover. I cannot imagine double hauling 12 feet of T14 on a single hander 10 hours a day! To sum it up, many casts & no steelies although we did actually see them holding. I can see why it's so addictive, it might be a good thing that I did not hook up. In any event, the guide was truly fantastic, if you are headed that way and want the guide info, PM me and I will pass it on.

al

Being a guide myself I can very much appreciate your enthusiasm and comments. However,the point is actually part of your conversation about the mezmorizing aspects to Steelhead fishing. The night before last we had a surprise Snow fall here in Qualicum Beach,about 4" of very wet snow that ultimately took out the power from falling tree branches not able to manage the sudden weight. Went to bed early,of course and up at 6(slept in) the power had just come back on...Val make me a coffee and a bit of Breaky and off I went. About 5 mile north the snow disappeared and green was everywhere again,Sun was out and the 2 hour drive was great..Once at the River the blood was flowing,of course,with much anticipation,and lined up the Snowbee Tamar and off I went..fished the mile below the bridge and saw a gear fisherman ahead of me so decided to fish above the Bridge...covered about 5 Miles of Getting low Water,incredible pools and runs and no fish. My feet were getting very sore from having to walk on Soccer ball size rocks all day. But I had a great day,the sky was blue,Partridge were beating their chests and life is great.

The anticipation of the hit is really what it is all about...and when it comes,only a Steelheaders will count the "Tugs" or "I thinks" as a good day? On this River I have over the years landed One Steelhead 27lbs. ,another 22,several as big and likely 10 over 15lbs. Perhaps that is part of the equation!