Fly Fusion Forums

Bone Fishing Near Veradero

I am going to Veradero next week for some R & R. Might try a day of flats fishing if it isn't too much trouble. I read that the best fishing is a couple of hours east of Veradero near Las Salinas. Does anyone have recent experience fly fishing in this area of Cuba? Thanks in advance.

I am going to Veradero next week for some R & R. Might try a day of flats fishing if it isn't too much trouble. I read that the best fishing is a couple of hours east of Veradero near Las Salinas. Does anyone have recent experience fly fishing in this area of Cuba? Thanks in advance.

I would check with the people at Westwinds flyshop in Calgary. I think they run trips out there in the winter. Let me know how it goes, I was thinking of the west end of Cuba or somewhere in Belize next winter.

Tim

La Salinas is on the southern side of Cuba, near the infamous "Bay of Pigs". I was in La Salinas for 6 days last year and it was quite good fishing for Bones. We also caught baby Tarpon, Barracuda, a Permit and hooked some Snook. It's quite a long way from Veradero though and I'm not sure it's really practical to try to get there for a single day. I don't think there really aren't any good flats near Veradero, but if I'm wrong I'd love to hear about it!

I also don't believe you can get access to the flats at La Salinas without employing a guide. Fishing is done from small fiberglass punts which are poled only. Each punt contains a guide and a single angler. Wading is also an option in many locations. Google "La Salinas + flyfishing" and see what you find. Someone will be willing to take your money. By the way, they all use the same guiding operation, so you might as well choose the lowest quote.

Drop me an email if you like.