Fly Fusion Forums

New At This

Starting all over. Haven't hucked a fly in a lifetime. Just a quick question as to early season fishing. Would you start with nymphs and all things squiggly? I will be targeting Rainbows and Browns in the 20 pound range. But I'm sure I will be catching in the 5 to 8 pound range if I'm lucky.

Guest bigbadbrent

heh

there are no browns and rainbows in the 20 lb range in the bow. Hell, the record rainbow (bigger then the record brown) in alberta was just over 20 lb and that was out of Maligne

The bow river fish can get long, but most won't top 5 lbs

Sorry. That was my attempt at fishing comedy. But a guy can dream can't he...

I've been reading through threads and anything I can get my hands on via the internet regarding entamology and such and hope I can get some help on about a gazillion questions.

:huh:

oh man i just laughed a little, are you fishing for lake trout up north...cause if you pull a 20 pound trout out of the bow ill eat my hat...

but ya man, go with nymphs (God damn things have cursed me this year so i shouldnt really be talking about much) haha

openfly ... It's likely a little early for much of a variety of nymphs. A dull stone nymph might turn a few heads but nymphs won't be as productive now as they will be in a couple of months. I'd be looking more along the lines of the leech varieties and similar offerings. Take a seine net along with you. You'll be amazed what you find in the water.

Sorry. That was my attempt at fishing comedy. But a guy can dream can't he...

If you would like to learn "fishing comedy" just search for anything posted by Tako on this board. Everything he has to say is a joke. ;)

Welcome. enjoy your new addiction.

openfly ... It's likely a little early for much of a variety of nymphs. A dull stone nymph might turn a few heads but nymphs won't be as productive now as they will be in a couple of months. I'd be looking more along the lines of the leech varieties and similar offerings. Take a seine net along with you. You'll be amazed what you find in the water.

fish in the winter much? take any throat sample or flip many rocks.......

openfly .........nymphs would be the way too go fished in teh deeper chop trenches and whatnot... either indicator fishing or highsticking can be productive right now.. streamers swung and slowly stripped have bin producing some days better than others..... theres tons of baetis and caddis under the rocks right nwo and midges are the staple from novemebr till now so dont leave home without some larvae and pupae... boatmen are gettin active too....... same with alot more nymphs........ goodluck dude!

If you would like to learn "fishing comedy" just search for anything posted by Tako on this board. Everything he has to say is a joke. ;)

Welcome. enjoy your new addiction.

LOL! I see he has managed to achieve this status across two provinces!

Thanks for the welcome guys........Hope to post some pics as soon as I get started on this years fishing route. I usually get some time in all 4 western provinces as well as northwest Ontario. I feel this will be a fantastic year, but I feel that every spring and am never let down.