Fly Fusion Forums

Ice Flows Past Policemans Flats

mkm

Guest bigbadbrent

I'd recommend not walking on the ice shelfs when possible, its way safer to walk in the river. For example, when we were down at the confluence last, we got down to the water and walked upstream, halfway through the 10foot ice shelf, was a cavern that had probably 2" of ice..had we walked on the ice shelf, one of us would have been in a lot of trouble, and definitly broken something going through that.

Was walking ice all weekend. The most dangerous looking stuff was a flat white area. Most of the spots like that were very much like what was described as a trap door. a 2 inch thick ledge of ice over a 4-6 foot deep hole. Just walk slow, stay alert, be carefull, and fish with a friend because if you go in alone and get trapped, you'll be missed by family and friends... :blink:

The biggest thing I gotta say is watch out for craves (sp) when walking across some areas I would think it was safe then I would see a small hole and it was with out a doubt 8 feet down... Now we might think its not that bad but can you imagen trying to pull yourself out with a broken arm or leg. Go with someone if anything, and in a couple of weeks don;t even bother cause it will be alot more dangerous as the weather gets better and better, much better to stay in the city and wrestle with the crowds then seriously injuring yourself!

Be smart, if your not sure don;t risk it for a couple of big trout just not worth it, they will still be there in 2 or 3 months if that!