Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing In Maui - Hawaii

Does anyone have experiance fishing in Maui? I'll be heading there in a couple months and I'm finding it difficult to get much info. I'd love to see a few new exotic specis on a fly and so I would be looking at fishing the ocean. (Also no licence is required for the ocean I've read) I would also like to fish some of the rivers if possible.

One question about the salt on gear. Do you need saltwater gear, or could you just clean your freshwarer gear well after fishing?

At this time of year there should be a few nice fish about,and basically any rod you use here will be fine unless you target those monsters. The fly lines should be a tropics series or alternative....I don't think the weather will exceed 35 so a good line might do okay. The reels ar also a questiion,and as John says the drag systems need to be either sealed of salt water resistent, Snowbee XS,Islander, Abel,Nautilus,some of the Ross Reels,.

The problem with reels that are not salt water friendly is that the screws in many cases are not compatabe with corrosion ,poor quality Stainless threaded into low quality Aluminum + Oxidation galor!

C

I used my Okuma Integrity in the salt for 3 weeks last fall, and have had no issues. I made a point of rinsing it after every fishing session. Unfortunately, I've never been to Hawaii. There was an article on flyrodding for bonefish there in the December 06/January 07 issue of Saltwater Flyfishing. If you can locate a copy it may be some help.

I lived in Honolulu for 3 yrs. I didn't fish at all, as I had other things on my mind. But my cousin moved there soon after I left and said the bonefish fishing was outrageous. Biggest average size of anywhere he's ever fished, and dude can flat out fish. He said noone targeted them. The locals left them alone because you cant eat them and the tourists all fished for Marlin. He said it was the most underlooked inshore fishery he had ever seen.

As to gear, you need a reel that will handle saltwater and tropics line as was said above. If you really clean the reel you may get away with it, but the line is a must. I had nothing but problems with line meant for cold water. Way too limp and sticky when I tried to shoot (save the obvious comment)

Trust me , you will not be able to use your flyfishing gear on Maui.

If you go to Lahaina, and the Northwestern Part of the Island, you may be able to catch a few beautiful catches, but your line will get caught in the rocks.

I would also suggest trying SCUBA DIVING or Snorkeling @ Molokini Crater.

Not that many rivers, if you wanted to go fly fishing, you could leave Kahului airport, one morning, and fly over to Lihue on Kauai, go 15km North of the Airport, until you hit the Wailua River. Excellent place to try flyfishing.

BTW: Many Films where filmed on the Wailua River, as well I heard you need saltwater gear.

IF you have any msgs PM me :D

I never realized there were bonefish there. Reasonable priced guides also. I found this one on a quick search

http://www.bonefishinghawaii.com/

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Sun

I should add that all the islands are totally different. Bonefish on Oahu doesn't mean bonefish in Maui, as Diesel said. I did a quick search, and here is a post from a guide in Maui this year:

http://www.danblanton.com/viewarchive.php?.../arch200702.php

There was an article on flyrodding for bonefish there in the December 06/January 07 issue of Saltwater Flyfishing. If you can locate a copy it may be some help.

That would be cool.

He said it was the most underlooked inshore fishery he had ever seen.

As to gear, you need a reel that will handle saltwater and tropics line as was said above. If you really clean the reel you may get away with it, but the line is a must. I had nothing but problems with line meant for cold water. Way too limp and sticky when I tried to shoot (save the obvious comment)

Thanks Rick. I've got lots of warmwater lines, so that should be good.

Thanks for the other links guys and the info on saltwater and reel compatibility. Living in Alberta for so long it just doesn't cross your mind often lol.

Trust me , you will not be able to use your flyfishing gear on Maui.

I would also suggest trying SCUBA DIVING or Snorkeling @ Molokini Crater.

IF you have any msgs PM me :D

I will second that. The first day we took a family tour and snorkeled the inner part of the crater. Very neat to see and a very worthwhile experience. The second day, we took an adventure tour , Blue Water Rafting, I think it was called and we snorkelled the back of Molikini. 300 foot straight drop coral wall. Very cool and very different. I would highly recommend both.

BTW...that adventure tour goes way round the south tip of Maui and goes into blowholes and sea caves, all while you are sitting on a 30 foot zodiac pontoon. Really cool and definitely the best thing we did there. It is not for the faint of heart though, as it can get rough in the open water.

DW

This probably will not work as a link but the fishing outfit is called START ME UP FISHING (http://adventuremaui.com/fishing.htm). We tried these guys out in Feb 08 and the fishing was great. Between six people we caught around 15 fish. The thing that makes these guys unique to the area is that they bottom fish which means you actually catch fish as opposed to just trolling around which many of the charters do. They are based out of Lahainna and if I were to fish that area again I would go with these guys again.

PM me if you want more info.

Gord