Fly Fusion Forums

Dubbing Block

cheeler

After seeing Badger's dubbing brushes, I decided to build a simple one out of some cheap wood and a few parts that cost less than $10 rather than pay $70 for one that only had a 6" long narrow dubbing tray. I also used an old standard screwdriver bit so that most any power tool can be used to spin it. (I haven't tried the dremel yet, but that could be fun :) )

Dubbing tray is 14 inches long:

IMG_0767.JPG

Hand knobs are for people with patience:

IMG_0768.JPG

Wire tension can be adjusted depending on the gauge used by adjusting the lower knob. The wire is placed between the rubber washer and brass washers:

IMG_0769.JPG

Dubbing brush twisted in less than 30 seconds:

IMG_0771.JPG

Dubbing brush of UV purple and black peacock ice dubs (trying out bloom's leech patterns with this one):

IMG_0772.JPG

That looks really good man. What kind of wire or thread are you using for the brushes?

Thanks for the replies!

I can't recall the exact size of wire, but its 30 or 32 gauge, with a red plastic coating (which can be burned off). I've seen 36 suggested, but my only source for that right now is the fly shops, which probably means it would much cheaper somewhere else, but the stuff I have is plentiful and free for me since it's just stuff that gets used once at work for cathodic protection surveys.