Fly Fusion Forums

Pink Intruder Sbs

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Hook: Any 4XL or longer hook, this one is like a 6X long salt water hook. Flat eyes or Salmon up eyes are better

Tail: Pink Lady Amherst, 2" Super High Quality Pink Ostrich, Fl. Pink Marabou on bottom Side, bump of Polar Chenille

Body: Polar chenille

Hackle: Pink Schlappen

"wing": Pink Lady Amherst, 4" Super High Quality Pink Ostrich, Fl. Pink Marabou on bottom Side, bump of Polar Chenille, pink mallard flank

Have fun kids

1. Attach 35lb Mono line (i use Slickshooter, i straighten it before hand so it's easier to deal with)

IMG_2895.jpg

2. Make a bump of Polar Chenille to flare, and keep your materials flared when in the water (sorry bout the quality of this one)

IMG_2896.jpg

3. Tie in your Lady Amherst. I use 2 per side, so 8 total.

IMG_2897.jpg

Should look like this

IMG_2898.jpg

4.Tie in your Ostrich, i use one for the top, left and right hand side. (will get to the bottom soon)

IMG_2900.jpg

5. Flip your hook (or have the wonderful use of a rotary vise) and tie in a good quality clump of marabou. Either strip it off the side, or cut the tip out of the marabou and brush it back.

IMG_2901.jpg

6. Enjoy dinner, beer, and Flight of the Conchords

IMG_2902.jpg

7. Put your dinner down, and put a good number of strands of ostrich over the top of the marabou (i use normally 5 or 6, so it has lots and LOTS of motion in the water)

IMG_2903.jpg

8. Tie in Lead Weight on TOP of the wire, it will make it flip over, also tie in Pink Polar Chenille and Tie in your Pink Schlappen

IMG_2904.jpg

9. Tie it forward

IMG_2905.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent

Then Schlappen

IMG_2906.jpg

10. Add our friend amherst again, same as before.

IMG_2907.jpg

A good view

IMG_2908.jpg

11. Tie in your eyes (don't need to be included)

IMG_2909.jpg

12. Tie in your 4" ostrich (or whatever size that makes it match, or go a bit past the other ones). I use 2 per side, except the bottom (will get to it again)

IMG_2910.jpg

13. Tie in another good clump of marabou, high quality (of course!), then another bunch of ostrich (used 8 here)

IMG_2911.jpg

14. Tie and palmer in a pink teal flank

IMG_2913.jpg

15. Cut the rest of your hook off (as you may have noticed, i cut the point of the hook off at the start, just so i have more room to work with) and attach your Gamakatsu stinger.

IMG_2917.jpg

16. Enjoy your mess

IMG_2918.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent

We had a huge party at our place like a week ago, and there was something like 35 full beers (as well as a 7/8 full thing of Jager, a bunch of tequila, rum, etc), so i'm working my way through them.

Guest bigbadbrent

indeed we do

Most intruders will include Rhea as well, but i'm too broke to afford that stuff

I tie these in black and blue (blue amherst, and glow in the dark flashabou) for the bow

awesome step by step Brent sounds like a intruder is to flytying what cricket is to sports you gotta stop for a meal and a drink in the middle.

So how much do you figure rhea adds to the fly? I honestly can't really say it appears to be a big difference but I have not fished em so I guess I dunno.

thanks for that bbb

Guest bigbadbrent

Well the ostrich i'm using in this fly is unbelievable quality, you could probably cut it off and only Todd Sharf would be able to tell you the difference. It's just what we happened to get in, so i hopped on it and grabbed 2 feathers.

However, once you start looking at the different colors, the ostrich is much thicker, and doesn't have the same movement in the water that rhea does. A lot of the luck of the draw weather or not you're going to get ostrich this good (think of it like this, most ostrich packs cost 2 bucks for 2 feathers. One of these feathers costs 6 bucks, and i had to pick through them all to get the pink one like this.)..

Probably one of the biggest differences is the way i tie in the ostrich, it needs to be more preened and put where you want it to, rather then Rhea where you can put it on like a hackle

My purple intruders (i'll put one up right away, just finished my best purple one yet) are tied only with ostrich as my rhea substitute. as well, and there is an obvious change in size of the ostrich to rhea, and when i fish my intruders that have Rhea on them, the movement is noticeable.

edit - purple intruder link

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3576