Fly Fusion Forums

Early Spring Lake

I have a couple questions for the masses, you all seem like really helpful kind of folk and i was wondering if i could ask what does one use early spring lake (allison creek) early in may there? I read every book and all good post on this website and have spent sometime this winter tying some good and bad and okay flies. But i have hit the wall and am running out of fun things to tie for my trip/ any fun suggestion would be cool. Also i know there are know scuds in the yet, i think i will get on that part this weekend, but what is everbody goto lake spring pattern... And i tried fo rthe last hour to post a picture with the post, but no luck, how the hell does one do that?

Guest bigbadbrent

Chironomids is you're interested in that type of fishing(casting an indicator, and watching it, or slowly slowly stripping), as well as Catatonic Leechs.

Scuds and Damsels

Leechs

The easiest way to put pics is to use photobucket, as it resizes your photos for you. photobucket.com and make an account

I'd call May late spring - because there will probably be bugs around by then depending on where you are.

You can't miss with chronies in May almost anywhere. I tie most of them now with thread bodies and Wapsi wire ribs. Black-silver, black-red, brown-silver, green-red, etc, etc.

My go to ice off pattern is a super easy but deadly-lethal small (#14) conehead leech. The tail is fairly sparse marabou, the body is leech yarn, and I put a small nickel cone right at the head. Fish it on a 12'-14' leader and hold on tight. Lots of fish chase it right to the boat or the shore and then smack it. Tie them in black, olive, claret, and brown. Also, search the board for Bloom's Leech. It should be outlawed on many lakes around here.

Everyone and their uncle stares at indies in the spring but fishing chronies on a long leader can be a real blast too. Takes some faith and some concentration but after a little while you'll get pretty good at it. Sometimes you set for no reason whatsoever and find that there's a fish there.