Fly Fusion Forums

Sculpin Wool

sirocco

Hi everyone,

I tied up a TA Rainbow tonight and I have a couple questions about the sculpin wool... The way I tied it in was by cutting 1/2 inch wide strips and then securing them in their centre. I did this in sequence along the shank until I got to the eye. It turned out all right but....

1) When you tie the wool down, are you supposed to tie them in one after another in a row like I did, or are the strips supposed to be stacked one on top of the other?

2) How much wool do you need to use for this type of head? I thought I used quite a bit, I probably tied in 5 or so strips before reaching the eye, and I'm wondering if I would get the right result with less?

Hard questions to answer without visuals, I know, sorry if they don't make sense :blink:

EDIT - Better way to phrase the second question... Does it need to be packed really tightly to get the desired result?

I used this material earlier this winter to tie some Bow River Buggers. I found that yes it needed to be packed if you were going to trim it to shape. I also cut the lengths in half and tied them in but only in the area I was going to trim because you did not need to have it full length. If you want it full length for your fly, take a toothbrush and brush the stuff out to shape it seemed to work for me. Hope this helps a little....Kerry