Fly Fusion Forums

Weak Hand Casting

ogilvie

Over the week-end of having Novice Casters on the water ..I was able to do some good work with these guys in helping them become better fly casters. What really became apparent was the difficulty with casting off the weak side..for me ,and most that would be the Left hand side. Ocassionally, there are people that do better off their wrong side ,similar in case to Cackhanded! Rusty was able to handle his left side much more efficiently that his right(strong) side(very impressive). Myself and the others have to really work at it in timing and feel. Although I have to say the SnakeRoll is easy off this side.....In my own case I have learned to cast either hand or reel either hand...but prefer cackhanded.

Practice that left hand..

On Sunday I fished river left with the two-handed rod for the first time. I found my snakerolls were a lot better left hand up (I'm right handed) than they are either cackhanded or right hand up when fishing river right. I did however find that if you bring your rod tip close to your body too soon on a snakeroll you run the risk of giving yourself interesting new body jewelry.

i here ya on teh practice with teh left hand up..is great too practice...really makes you watch too see all of your mechanics are right..found it made my right hand(stong side) casting much more effective..but usually im lazy and do cackhanded casts if need be...

Guest bigbadbrent

the snap-t was my bestest friend on the Cowie, due to the fact that 99% of the fishing we did was with river left..

Found i could do a snap-t to a single spey and still punch out the scandi head, 20 feet of t14, 2 feet of leader, and still shoot some line...took me a few days to get it down pat, but i highly doubt i'll ever have a problem with river left ever again, didn't have a choice but to learn

For me it's about having less "muscle memory" on that side. I fish fast single handers and generally don't bring the rod much past vertical on the backcast. The spey requires a much more fluid motion and I constantly find myself punching the forward cast instead of slowing down and letting the rod do the work. The left side doesn't have that problem.

I agree though - having both in the bag will make you a more versatile fisher. A good buddy of mine hurt his right arm and after a fall and winter of lefty he's now able to fish either way.