Fly Fusion Forums

Superhighway - Crowsnest Pass

I want to bring to attention the proposed high-speed super highway that is planning to run through the crowsnest pass. The highway would cost a few hundred million to build and would run through some of the small towns.

Not only would this highway be ridiculously expensive, but it would have massive impacts on wildlife in the pass as road kill would become a greater problem. From the fishing point of view it would put added stress on the crow during construction, and certainly be another scar on the landscapes natural beauty.

Please voice your concern to the government on this matter.

I don't know that I like it, would also have to hear the bonus that the transportation industry would see from it as well, I mean If it will save the lives and Livlihood of those working the highways enough might out weight the concern for wild life.

Don't hold your breath. Discussions between the Municipality and Alberta Transportation have been going on for years concerning the realignment of Highway 3 through the Pass. There is good reason for establishing the alignment, since it affects development -- who wants to develop a business on the highway, only to have it moved a few years later? However, everything I have seen indicates that actual construction is 20 years away. I'm sure Gary has more info. Terry

This issue has been a major source of frustration for the pass for a decade. Highway 3 through the pass is seeing up to 16,000 vehicles a day during peak times. I believe that is close to twice the traffic that justifies a 4 lane highway. Highway 4 south of Lethbridge to Coutts handles only 4,000 vehicles per day and is twinned. As Terry has said the highspeed bypass is 20-30 years away from what Transportation tells us and it will use a route that was gazetted back in the 70's. Transportations proposed route would head straight west leaving its current route near the Macs store. The proposed highway will cross the wetlands between Coleman and Blarimore and will follow a bench south of the Crowsnest River and Coleman rejoining the current alignment near the information centre close to Crowsnest Lake.

The municipality would love to see a different solution to our highway problems. We would like a lower speed highway maintained along its current route with 4 lanes undivided to reduce its footprint. The highway needs to be able to handle the large volume of traffic but does not need to be a pipeline through the pass. With the ability to handle increased volumes work has to be done to better handle traffic flow at the various access points to the highway from our towns. In recent talks with Transportation they have been agreeable to work on short to mid term solutions that will serve us for up to the next 20 years. This will include a 2 way turning lane through Coleman, restricting the number of access points to the highway, improving the accesses that are left, with the possibility of controlling some intersections with traffic lights.

As far as wildlife concerns, studies are ongoing with a road watch program to determine the best locations for wildlife crossings. There seems to be no opposition from Transportation to including these crossings in their plans. Local conservation groups have been working on these studies for a few years now.

• 1 month later...

I just had to mention that I'm fairly familiar with this bit of river. From the Shell near Frank to West of West Coleman the entire river is no where near natural. On the contrary its about as man made as possible. From the Shell there is berms on both sides of the river with enhancements then you hit the section that was realigned when the new bridges went in complete with enhancements then you hit Blairmore where the river runs through a virtual man made gorge complete with a 10 foot concrete wall down most of the South side with enhancements, then we get to the "wet lands" where the CPR bermed and channeled the river to the very south edge of the flood plain so free flowing water can't enter, it should look like the wet lands on the West Castle. The berm has been repaired as of the late ninetys by somebody. After that is the section that was cleaned up by F&G I think then comes the ditch through East Coleman then there is the old mine site and on it goes. May be there should be a greater effort to try to naturalize more of it. There is no reason the Blue ribbon Crow can't reach all the way to the Lake.