Fly Fusion Forums

Simms G3 Wading Jacket

Guest bigbadbrent

I know a few people that own it, and they rave about it all the time. They won't even consider anything else now. The Zipper is 100% waterproof, let alone the fact that iscouldn't be labelled as being Gore-Tex (needs to be gore approved, zipper included..)

Simm's has their waterproof zippers down pat, look at their G4 waders, that have a zipper going from the top of the waders to the crotch, for when nature calls

Have one and love it. The cuffs have some neoprene and can be tightened to make them waterproof as well. I can put my whole arm in the water and only my hand gets wet. Same goes with the ripcords on the waist. I've gone for an unplanned swim and the only water that came in was through the collar. Haven't had any water come in through the zipper at all. The hood has ripcords as well so it stays on even in heavy winds. I've been wearing it all winter with a polartec jacket underneath and have stayed warm and protected from the wind.

There are also plenty of pockets and the two front bellows pockets are big enough to hold a large C+F box. The zippers on the other pockets are all waterproof as well so your cell phone or camera (if you don't have a waterproof one) are kept dry and safe. The jacket is also made loose enough to offer you a full range of movement during casting without being too bulky either.

You can not go wrong with this jacket. I own a lighter verson Simms and it is awesome. I do know a guy who owns a G3 and he raves about it. Although pricey, Simms stands by their product and it is all I buy. You will get years out of it and this is how I justify the price.

It features Gore-Tex XCR fabric, so you can't go wrong starting there...then the functionality of the jacket....I wish I could grab one (or a G4), but I already have two Gore-Tex XCR ski shells (= lot of $$) so won't be getting one real soon, but it's on my wish list.

I asked the Simms rep at the show what the differences were between the G3 and G4. I think the G4 was a little lighter because of some new Gore-Tex lining and the moleskin on the inside of the collar is different. I think there were one or two other minor cosmetic differences, like the colour, but otherwise not very much to justify the price difference or upgrading if you already have a G3.