Fly Fusion Forums

Ideal Setups For Casting Styles And Line Types?

headscan

It's obvious that the casting style you use is based primarily on the type of line you're casting - for example, you wouldn't want to underhand cast with a Grand Spey line. But do rod actions, lengths, and weights come into play at all? My understanding is that a long rod (13+ feet) lends itself better to more traditional spey casting and that the desirable action is based more on the caster's personal preference. In looking at an "ideal" skagit setup, though, I sort of get the impression that a shorter, faster action rod in a lower line weight would be best. I know that fish, river, size of flies, and back cast room figure into it as well, but are there any sort of loose guidelines?

the longer distance that the rod tip travells in the stroke the longer the head that can be cast. This is of course true of single hand as well. The longer the stroke, the more line that can be carried.

Underhand is typically done with a fast progressive action rod

skagit can be done with any set up. Please understand that there different styles of skagit favouring different rod actions. The classic skagit action is actually quite soft. As for rod length, as long as it is matched to the head anything is fine. Love fishing for Chinooks with my 15' opti with the custom skagit head-you can put the fly where it needs to be with this rig.

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. This is the kind of info that seems hard to find for two-handed rods. You can find a good selection of books and videos on how to cast, but most of them are pretty lacking in terms of rigging, setups, and even how to actually fish a double hander.

was out this afternoon casting a Snowbee 12 6/7, underhand casted an Elixir line beautifully as well casted a Snowbee Scandi line using a traditional casting stroke and it was a perfect match too. Was casting a Mach 2 salmon line (55ft head) on it last weekend and with a slight adjustment of the stroke I was able to get it out there. Guess the key is versatility of casting style to fit your set-up.

Colin

was out this afternoon casting a Snowbee 12 6/7, underhand casted an Elixir line beautifully as well casted a Snowbee Scandi line using a traditional casting stroke and it was a perfect match too. Was casting a Mach 2 salmon line (55ft head) on it last weekend and with a slight adjustment of the stroke I was able to get it out there. Guess the key is versatility of casting style to fit your set-up.

Colin

I've read a lot of good reviews about the Tamar and Torridge. Maybe the ability to cast a wide variety of lines/set-ups is just the hallmark of a good rod? I find I can get my Beulah 11'6" 6/7 with the Elixir line to cast single and double speys, underhand, and snap Ts almost effortlessly (at least compared to my ability level). But when it comes to doing the same with my 13' Snowbee 8/9 with a Windcutter it becomes quite a chore. Granted, these rods have totally different lines on them, but when I cast the Beulah it builds my confidence. Then I pull out the Snowbee the next week and I feel like I'm back at square one. I'm sure my casting ability, or lack thereof, has something to do with it...

I've read a lot of good reviews about the Tamar and Torridge. Maybe the ability to cast a wide variety of lines/set-ups is just the hallmark of a good rod? I find I can get my Beulah 11'6" 6/7 with the Elixir line to cast single and double speys, underhand, and snap Ts almost effortlessly (at least compared to my ability level). But when it comes to doing the same with my 13' Snowbee 8/9 with a Windcutter it becomes quite a chore. Granted, these rods have totally different lines on them, but when I cast the Beulah it builds my confidence. Then I pull out the Snowbee the next week and I feel like I'm back at square one. I'm sure my casting ability, or lack thereof, has something to do with it...

Perhaps I can help you a bit with this...the 13' Snowbee is a very powerful rod that is designed for mid-long belly lines but fishes a skagit set-up equally.. I would suggest that you use a CND 600 Grain Skagit head, Snowbee Running line and any of the tips from intermediate to type 6.. I am useing that currently and am amazed at the effortless deliveries achieved. The other set-up or floating line that matches that rod is likely as Colin has is the Hardy Mach 2 or the Snowbee 2D (62' head)...in the floating version or the sink-tip. Ironically ,I worked with a novice caster yesterday that had the Windcutter as well and had just a so so ability and no consistency...once converting his rod with the 2D line he was the last one off the water..... For practiceing and shortening the learning curve I would suggest you get a "ONE" line that works and get it down!

C

I think I figured out my main problem while reading up on skagit heads last night. Most of what I read mentioned using skagit heads for big ass streamers. Tested it today and I'm pretty sure I confirmed it. Casting a sparse fly with the Windcutter is no problem for me. I was casting things like a size 6 SJW and a size 4 spruce fly using a snake roll easily. But if I try chucking a big weighted and wind resistant fly like a size 4 Kaufmann stone or a conehead Bow river bugger, no dice. Guess I'll wait until I get a skagit line for that rod before trying to cast any more heavy flies.