Fly Fusion Forums

Underhand Casting

headscan

Ok, I understand that underhanded casting was developed primarily for shooting heads but that it can also be used with other lines. I'm aware that there aren't any hard and fast rules for anything to do with fly fishing and spey casting in particular, but is there a generally accepted maximum head length for underhanded casting? For example, on my 13' Snowbee 8/9 I have a Windcutter with (I believe) a 52 ft. head. Would this be too long to underhand cast effectively or just about right? I don't want to start attempting to underhand cast it thinking I'm doing something wrong if it's a case that I'm trying to underhand a line that's too long.

As you say,generally the shorter heads are commonly used for underhand casting. The windcutters are nice lines but not the best for underhand casting...loop formation is a key factor in the underhand cast with a touch and go rythm. The 13' Snowbee is a major rod and will handle about any line you throw at it...have fun

...Courtney