Fly Fusion Forums

Skeena System Last Week Of March

Anybody have any experience with this river system , or the kitimat that time of year?? Im headed to smithers end of march and want to go searching for steel. Anybody know if there are any runs in that time of year? I have only fished the salmon runs in the summer there. Haven't had a chance to chase steelies there yet, so just wondering if its possible that time of year?

Exactly what ricinus said. The rivers around Terrace will be the only ones open on the Skeena drainage. The Lakelse, Kalum, Copper (bottom few km's that are open), and the mainstem Skeena should have bright fish. Pack some bear spray on the Lakelse. Additionally, the Kitimat should be getting rollin'.

Sweet yeah, I was thinking of hittin up the kitimat because I was there in the summer and it was a fun river to fish.

Thanks for the info

Stop in at North Coast Anglers Ltd. (tackle store in Terrace) and talk to owners Randy and Leona - they were in Kitimat many years before opening their store in Terrace and both are avid steelhead fishers. I have never fished the Kitimat in March but April/May can be great- bring raingear.