Fly Fusion Forums

Gettin' Down

rusty

Just wondering what sort of rigs people here are using to fish streamers on the Bow. I started with the fast sinking polyleader and just found that it wasn't doing it for me. I've switched to half of a T-300 tip, which makes it a 12' 150gr. head. This seems to do slightly better and I've picked up quite a few fish on the new rig with it, but it still doesn't feel like it's getting right down to where I'd like to be in some spots.

I'm using a slightly weighted fly and a 12" 1X leader.

Do I need to mend more before swinging? Is anyone fishing splits with their streamers? Do I need a longer tip?

Guest bigbadbrent

Buy a sink-tip wallet from Rio. All the ones you'll need in it.

I usually fish a 15' section of T8, but then i'm bumping bottom all day long, so use a 20lb leader that is no more then 2 feet long.

If i want a slower drift, i'll use my type 6 thats also 15'.

I've tried using my t14, but you're on bottom all the time. The bow is just too slow to anything faster then the t8.

All the big fish i've grabbed on the bow this year with the spey were all on the type 8, usually tapping bottom before i hit the fish.

When i was out on the coast i was using a 20 foot section of t14, and still wouldn't tap down, but the casting is very different and you really have to get used to it before its effective.

I think if you're not tapping, you're not far enough down, especially for winter. Mend more to get down further, but you'll have that time where you're not connected. Then step up to a faster tip

Guest bigbadbrent

umm, i'll check tomorrow for ya.

If you can't get ahold of it (i got mine, as it came with the line i bought for my rod), you could easily make one. Sink Tips usually run like .25 cent a foot, only problem is you don't get them looped, but you can loop them yourself with 2 nail knots and a thing of knot sense.

Will let you know asap

Just wondering what sort of rigs people here are using to fish streamers on the Bow. I started with the fast sinking polyleader and just found that it wasn't doing it for me. I've switched to half of a T-300 tip, which makes it a 12' 150gr. head. This seems to do slightly better and I've picked up quite a few fish on the new rig with it, but it still doesn't feel like it's getting right down to where I'd like to be in some spots.

I'm using a slightly weighted fly and a 12" 1X leader.

Do I need to mend more before swinging? Is anyone fishing splits with their streamers? Do I need a longer tip?

What line are you useing? If you are useing the Elixir Line they are designed for poly-tips....the Elixir Spey Lines can be cut back to allow for "sink Tips" but on the Bow that shouldn't be necessary. Getting down is a simple thing if you understand the hydrolics and water speed. You might definitely want to have a longer small diameter leader, and a weighted fly.

Your line mend will also be a factor to some degree..if you are doing a 90 degree change of direction cast then an upstream mend will get your fly down much more quickly. There are many ways to skin a cat...

C

What's that wallet worth? You guys have it at TF?

I think I saw it there a couple weeks ago. Was around $50 or so if I remember right. From the look of it though the tips were made for Rio's VersiTip lines. They were pretty long to use on, say, an Elixir line. The Elixir probably wouldn't fit through the welded loop on the tips anyways. If you go check it out you might want to bring your line with you to check.

Unless you guys are actually talking about the Rio VersiLeaders, in which case never mind...

BTW...this is an ongoing issue on most of the fly fishing web sites..another great way to get down is to use an Ultra FAst sinking Scandanavian Short Head Spey line set-up. Line control is with this much more critical but once mastered you can manipulate your swings at almost any level. Most companies have this system to various specs. The best are the density compensated and well tapered designs.. The best I have ever cast and worked with is Snowbee's ,followed by AirFlo and Loop. There are more of these set-ups coming onto the market and widely used throughout Europe and Scandanavia. Just now making therer way into popular use in these parts. The difference is a sink tip hinges the sinking section to some degree because the floating line provided resistence to sinking. The full sinking heads have no resistence and if designed well the taper acts as a controlling mechanism...by maneuvering your tip,like you guys do with nymphing, you control to swing and depths..

You do lose flies and leaders but you are in the Zone for long periods of thime and in their face!

Rusty this is what I have found.

I have three types of sink tips. First one is a slow sink, second a intermideate, and the third beeing a Fast Sink.

When fishing with streamers I will almost always start with my slow sink, I like to go after the most active fish first, usally I will do a down and across type of presentation.

After awhile if this is not work I will then throw on my Fast Sink, if I am hooking up on bottom alot and losing lots of streamers this is when I will ajust to my intermeidate sink and just skim the surface of the river bed.

As for length I found it really depended on the situation.

I own a 10 foot and 16 foot for my slow sink.

For my intermideate I have a 14 and 16 foot

And finally for my fast I own a 10 foot and 16 foot.

Now I can be wrong of this stuff, this is however what I have been finding is working for myself....

Good Luck & Tight Lines

Courntey,

I didn't really care for the Snowbee Fast Sink, my lasted me one day before I destroyed it. It could of happened because lots of sharp ice and rocks. Will have to give it another go around in the spring and see as to the durability of it.