Fly Fusion Forums

Elixir 6/7 On A Sage Z-axis 7134-4

alhuger

The elixir 380 w/ a 16 foot floating poly leader works really well on the sage 7134-4. I found the sweet spot for me was about with 1 1/2 feet of running line outside of the rod. It casts nice tight loops with little effort, lots of fun. I also finally got a chance to try a skagit (Rio) on the same rod. I cast it with a 10 foot section of T14 (plus a 5 foot cheater) and it was like there was no sinking tip at all, I can see why everyone loves these lines for big flies.

-al

I was throwing a streamer on my Beulah 6/7 with the Elixir line for a little while today and found it was pretty effortless as well. Granted, I didn't have T14 on there, but casting it wasn't noticeably different than a nymph. Can't wait to try some skagit lines, but I'm going to wait until my casting is a bit better than it is now.

The good news is that we are coming out with our own version of a smoother "Skagit Style" Spey and Switch Line. More agressive than the Elixir but not as Klunky as a Skagit.And we are also doing one in an Intermediate body that will allow us to swing the fly at great distances in a manageable and controlled depth. Over that past few weeks I have ben doing a lot of playing around with many different Elixir Lines amtched with many different rod and rod weights. Surprisingly,One of my favorites small stream matches was the 5/6 Elixir Switch line on my;yes;8/9 Switch. What this really tells me is that these lines are able to really cross over many of the line barriers we experience..

C