Fly Fusion Forums

Scott Rods

Tako

Need to retire my old 5wt St. Croix. My buddy was saying I should look at the Scott A2. Anyone familiar? Seem like nice rods. I was thinking about taking the easy way out and buying another Launch, but it's always fun to put a new name on the rack. Any other suggestions in that price range? ($250)

Guest bigbadbrent

A2 is a great little rod, especially for the price. I'm not a fan of the 'classic' look that scott has, but the A2 has done it well enough to get away with it.

Only problem with Scott is they're backed up on their rod repairs right now, as they're all hand made, so the repair time is longer then sage/winston/gloomis, etc

Before a launch, i'd rather drop the extra to get the FLi, the difference between the two is quite large in speed and components.

Then again, i can tell you that im a guy that likes his fast rods (i was casting a Sage XP today on the river, vs a Scott STS...XP is uber-fast, and i instantly fell in love with it, while the STS (while still a hell of a rod) was just not fast enough for me... Moral of the story, bring in that 5 weight line of yours to a shop, ask if you can try out both rods and compare them side by side. Go cast in the parking lot, while not a concrete test, you'll find the one that fits you better after a few minutes.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/G-Loomis-Stream-Dance-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

I know its a bit outta your range but its a nice rod but I would say in some ways one of the better value rods..... however its been discontinued by g loomis as they came out with some new lines this year..... if it were me i would try to find out what the warranty replacement rod would be if you did break it.

But if your looking for a rod in that range you could check out TFO I don't fish them much but I have cast a whole bunch of em..... problem is I don't remember which were which but they all cast nice and they were cheap...... some of the other guys fish tfo a lot so I will let them make suggestions as they would know better.

I have to say that the TFO is a good piece of hardware for the $$, with a warranty to match. Affordable and are really decent. In fact I like my TFO better than my Orvis Clearwater, which cost twice as much. That being said, the Orvis TLS is a great rod at around $400 or so but that is a long way from $250. I can't help much more than that. Brent's advice is really what I would suggest too. Cast a couple side by side so you can feel them yourself & you'll know right away what you like better.

I've got a Scott A2 9' 4 piece in a 6wt. I love it. It's a mid-tip flex with quite a bit of backbone. It can be a little bit of a curve to cast it if your used to more noodley rod. The only thing I think I would change is to switch it for a 5wt just because it does have a strong backbone. I like the black finish and the carbon fiber reel seat...nice rod for the buck.

Glad to hear it Pythagoras.

Not a fan of TFOs. I hear they're nice rods, but just don't appeal to me.

:lol: BBB must be nice to live in a town where they will carry most rod brands :lol: I can't find anything other than Sage, GLoomis, Dragonfly and the odd TFO, St Croix or Loop