Fly Fusion Forums

Rod/reel Combos

sirocco

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to avoid buying a new reel for my new 7wt. I have a 5wt Teton which is rated for 4-6wt, and I'm hoping to use it on the 7wt. This would mean I would have about 55yd of backing. Is this a safe way to go, and is 55yd of backing enough for the Bow?

Cheers

Erik

Hey Colin,

Putting on the Snowbee XS WF7 Ultra Fast Sink and the Snowbee XS WF7 Floating. They're both 90ft long.

Should have enough, only thing is if you're casting that line on your Beulah you'll be shooting into the backing no problem. Always figure that if a trout can spool me perhaps it deserves to get away in the end. 255 feet is a pretty good run for any fish.

Colin

Hey Colin,

Putting on the Snowbee XS WF7 Ultra Fast Sink and the Snowbee XS WF7 Floating. They're both 90ft long.

Like Colin said 55 yards should be plenty, but if you wanted more backing you could always chop a bit of the running line. You can shoot backing just as well as line as long as your knot is streamlined with a bit of UV knot sense or something. My concern would be if you have that much line out consistently is the diameter (arbor) of your reel large enough to wind it back in effectively?

Well Sirocco,

I'm hopeing Colin would agree with this, apparently you are a newbie skilled fly tyer. I am willing to send you a new Snowbee XSD 780 cassett reel system in exchange for flies tied by you for this area. We can send you the patterns and the materials needed...and forgive me if I am stepping on anybodys toes..

Courtney