Fly Fusion Forums

I Hate People.

birchy

I'm really not looking forward to dealing with the insurance company...

This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. Any tips on what I should do if they try and low ball me or something? Can I sue the guys that stole it for the rest of the money?

The insurance company will probably just give you the book value of the vehicle. When I had a car totaled that's what they gave me. Make sure you know what the black book value on it is when you start dealing with them. Either go into a dealership and explain why you want the book value (doesn't hurt if you make them think you're going to spend the insurance money there) and they'll probably give it to you. Otherwise, if you go to toyota.ca and price a vehicle there's a link at the bottom to appraise your trade-in. That takes you to the Canadian black book site and will give you the book value on your vehicle.

First let me say that Birchy is the victim that I sympathize most with in this scenario. I'll repeat that later, too.

However, if the thieves are hurt very badly and taxpayers end up footing the bill for their care, a lot of people are victimized by the bad guy's foolishness. So let's hope they recover in time to see justice and make some kind of restitution.

Birchy, I hope this comes out well for you and quickly. I'm in your corner.

Car Insurance.

I had the misfortune to have a car written off years ago when I lived in the UK and thought that the insurance company would pay up without question - no way! Ended up with book price despite my car being a low mileage, perfect example.

Got wiser the second time around though, we have a thing called the insurance ombudsman. I got a hold of the phone number and when I received the settlement figure from the insurance company, low as always, I phoned them right away and asked if this was their final offer, told it was, told them that I will be phoning this number in 30 minutes and quoted the number to the insurance agent. 20 minutes later I got a call saying that an error in calculating the value of my car was made and the figure they then quoted was double the first!

Pays to hang out for more if you can get it.

Commiserations on the loss of your car. Go visit the suckers with a bottle of iodine or better still, hydrogen peroxide - cleans out wounds very nicely!, any questions, just say you were tending to their wounds.

Sorry to hear about your wheels man.

Here's hopin' they end up being someone's "wife" in the pen.

I wish you luck and hope it all works out for the best.

Don't take any of the shite the insurance company gives ya.

You've paid them for nothing for years, it's time they step up.

I recently had a Pathfinder written off. Based on this you'll receive market value. I had some input into the appraisal also through discussion of maintenance and repair work I'd had done. The appraisers are usually independent of the insurance company to prevent conflict of interest. You don't have to accept the insurance company's first offer if you feel it's too low. You'd need to provide documentation to support a higher value.

I replaced the Pathfinder with a 4Runner.

First off, if his insurance is covering the replacement of the 4 runner, Birchy is not entitled to a lawsuit causes he is technically not at loss, that is up to the insurance company. In the AMA "black book" they say add 10% to the value of the vehicle in Alberta.

Sucks balls, for sure hope your insurance company just pays out for cost for you to purchase, i even have heard of them find you a vehicle so you don't have to shop around they do, quite like Jim peplinski does.