Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - The life cycle of caddisflies, with Thomas Ames

Orvis

This week, we go into great detail about the life cycle of caddisflies and the various species found in the eastern United States. Tom Ames [33:05], author of the book Caddisflies is my guest and although we go into great detail on the various types of caddisflies, don't let it overwhelm you, as imitating these insects is merely a matter of observing what stage of their life cycle is present and what the trout are eating. It's not something you can predict in advance—you need to arrive at the river and then figure out the puzzle by your powers of observation. But this podcast does get geeky so be prepared!

Our Fly Box questions this week are much more basic, a good counterbalance to our discussion of caddisflies. Questions and tips include:

I want to go beyond my typical attractor patterns and match some hatches. What basic flies do you recommend?

A great tip from a listener on fixing rough fingertips for fly tying

Tom's thoughts on the Murdich Minnow fly

What three lines should I get for fishing lakes?

Why don't more people wear PFDs?

What color of Clouser Minnows should I get for smallmouth bass?

Can I tie my second Euro nymph fly onto the bend of the other fly, or can I leave a tag end long on the knot to the first fly and use that?

Several rod selection questions

Can I double haul with my bamboo fly rod?

Is it a good idea to pinch the line against the cork to put added pressure on a running fish?

Tips from a listener on wearing felt boots on a trail and drying out wading boots.

What rod is best for practicing my casting skills?

View the full article