Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - Georgia's Native Brook Trout, with Sarah Baker

Orvis

My guest this week, Sarah Baker [35:40] is a woman who has a job most of us would envy—she studies and manages the populations of wild, native brook trout in the mountains of northern Georgia. Learn more about these southernmost populations of brook trout, their life history, and where you can find them (no spot burning, just some general areas to investigate for yourself).

In the Fly Box this week, some great questions that range the spectrum of fly fishing, such as:

A listener is confused by recommendations for sinking lines for an Alaska trip

Can I tie flies smaller than size 18 with the regular jaws in my tying vise?  Do I need to purchase midge jaws?

Someone told me not to use water-based head cement on size 20 and smaller flies. Why?

If I know I have a reasonable fly and good drifts, does it make sense to spend more than a half-dozen casts in one spot?

I am a newbie and other than the typical questions about what fly to use, what other questions should I ask in a fly shop that will be helpful?

If I want to try Spey casting with my single-hand fly rod, what fly line would be best?

Can smaller Spey patterns be used for trout and bass on a single-handed rod?

I am taking my first saltwater trip to Turks and Caicos. I have an 8-weight freshwater outfit. Do I need to get a special saltwater rod and line?

Can I use a 450-grain Depth Charge line on my 10-weight rod? And besides fishing for striped bass, what other saltwater applications are there for this line?

I am having trouble with my Clinch Knots breaking in cold weather. What am I doing wrong?

Any advice for tying on a size 22 Zebra Midge in cold weather?

View the full article