Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - How You Can Make a Difference in Your Fishery, with Capt. Benny Blanco

Orvis

This week, my guest is Capt. Benny Blanco of Islamorada, in the Florida Keys [37:38]. Benny talks about his life in the Keys and about how he came to realize that the fishery on which he made his living was threatened--and how he learned to make a difference. The Everglades will never be completely pristine again, but with people like Benny involved, it can regain much of its former glory. And it's not only the Everglades.

Restoration of the entire watershed will also help the world-class fisheries in Florida Bay, the health of the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee estuaries, and the drinking water supply of the 9 million people in South Florida. It's a study in best practices that people in any part of the world can learn from to protect their treasured resources.

In the Fly Box this week we have some lighter topics:

How long does it take for a fish to remove a hook that has been left in it? Is there much of a mortality rate?

How do you fish with friends on a small stream?

Great tips from a listener for making sure you don't leave any gear behind on a trip

What parts of my fly gear can be damaged in a hot car?

Have you ever tried a "dry dropper" arrangement with a popper when fishing for striped bass?

Why are most imitations of mayflies so small?

If I am used to fishing small streams, how can I read the water in a big flat piece of water in a big river?

When fishing multiple flies, should I use a weaker knot on the droppers so I don't lose my entire rig?

How do I set the hook when stillwater fishing?

When fishing three flies at once, I foul hook a lot of trout. How can I prevent that?

View the full article