Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass, with Matthew Lewis

Orvis

You may have never heard of redeye bass or seen one. Yet they are a wonderful fly-rod fish. They live in spectacular, clear mountain streams and take a fly very well. They’re mainly found in the deep South, particularly in Alabama, so they’re a great fly-rod target in places where you would not ordinarily think of fly fishing. They’re a native species that deserve more visibility from the fly-fishing community and my guest, Matthew Lewis [44:27], is perhaps the world expert on fly fishing for them.

In the fly box this week, we have some interesting questions and great tips from listeners, including:

What percentage of the time do trout in lakes feed on the surface?

What is a go-to fly for late summer fishing on small streams?

What can I do to prevent foul-hooking so many fish? And when I hook a trout in the belly, is it sure to die?

Do oils from our hands harm trout?

Do you have some general rules of thumb for how rain affects fly fishing?

I am using wide gape hooks and missing a lot of small brook trout. Is it the hook that’s my problem?

I saw some large brown trout in shallow water around spawning season and could not get them to take a fly. What can I do?

What do you think of the Double Davy Knot?

A listener shares a killer nymph pattern he developed.

When I practice casting, why does the end of my leader fray and my fly line loop come apart?

Do you ever guide?

I fish a stream with rainbow trout, and for the first six months of the season I can’t find them. Where do they go?

How much less backing fits on a spool when I use 30-pound backing instead of 20-pound?

Are the natural materials we use for fly tying from ethically treated animals?

View the full article