Fly Fusion Forums

Line Makeups

alhuger

For those of you who are new to all this (like me) I have a link which is very helpful in breaking down the make-up of most of the popular north american lines out there right now.

http://www.emeraldwateranglers.com/speylin...ifications.html

It breaks line down by vendor, line name and length (tip, belly, head etc) taper type, grain etc. Line selection and nomenclature in general for this is needlessly complex in my opinion, this chart will at least help you see what each vendor is describing as skagit, scandi, traditional long, mid belly etc. It's like drinking from a firehose. Much of this is (in my opinion) driven by marketing and vendor hype mixed in with guys with too much time on their hands. I am not saying there is not merit in each system but rather that each system in itself is nothing more that a way of getting a fly to a fish, people seem to loose sight of that.

-al

The Greatest issue in the Spey Casting World here in NA is the mis-information about lines...another point of interest is as Al says,we really don't need all this info'...the worlds line manufacturers can't even get thier sh.t together about being somewhat universal...so,some companies are matching grain weights to their rods making all the decisions very simple...this is the only real way to get the correct lines into the correct hands for the correct rods! So now if we can get the rod manufacturers to put recommended grain weights on their rods life would be much simpler.

The PNW of our continent has been a big influence over the past 6-8 years ...however,Skagit style is only Skagit style,and now with compensators and various adaptors we are once again arriving at mid to long belly lines.

Over the next few months we should have a lot of fun with this and make fishing that much more intrigueing.