Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - The Everglades from a Guide's and Scientist's Perspective

Orvis

The issue of freshwater flow through the Everglades is an issue that Orvis has worked on for a number of years as one of our major conservation projects, and we've worked with some strong partners on the ground, like the Everglades Foundation, Captains for Clean Water, Now or Neverglades, and Bullsugar/Friends of the Everglades.  This week we have a double feature on this national treasure.  The first part of the podcast is with scientist Steve Davis of the Everglades Foundation [41:05], who discusses the recent progress and environmental conditions in the Everglades, in times of poor freshwater flow and healthy flows.  The second part of the podcast is with Orvis-endorsed guide Jason Sullivan [1:28:17], who spends nearly every day in the Everglades and depends on its health for his livelihood.  And yes, don't worry we talk fishing and what it's like fly fishing in the everglades--for tarpon, snook, redfish, and even tailing tripletail! And in the Fly Box this week, we have some great questions to answer, including:

Can a clear fly line be made?

Why are cane fly rods so great?

If I can legally fish only one fly, how do I get my fly down to the fish when Euro nymphing?

How does a full moon affect fishing?

If a season for a species is closed, when is it OK to fish for them if I practice catch-and-release?

How does intellectual property work with fly patterns?

Is it worth it to pay to fish spring creeks?

Why can't I sharpen my hooks?

Is there any role in whimsy or "bluffing" when picking a fly pattern?

Can I use floatant on my Master Splinter fly?

Can I use unweighted streamers with a floating line?

View the full article