Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - Trophy Largemouth on the Fly, with Jay Aylward

Orvis

This week I interview Orvis-endorsed guide Jay Aylward [51:05], a largemough bass fanatic on the fly rod, about how to find and catch them.  And not just any largemouth, but trophy bass.  Or at least trophies on a fly rod... In the Fly Box this week, I get some great tips from listeners and also some interesting questions, including:

Fly pattern suggestions for a road trip across Colorado What are your top 10 trout flies I should tie? How does water fluctuation below a dam affect trout behavior? I can't catch trout on anything but worm flies and woollies in my local river.  Why can't I catch them on standard nymphs? How do I sort through the creek chubs to catch the nice brook trout below them? Can I cut my poly leader back to make it shorter? What line do I need to put on my 10-foot 8-weight single handed rod if I want to try some two-handed casts? Why did a fly shop put a 6-foot leader on my outfit when I bought it? A listener offers more suggestions on why you should tie your own leaders.A nother suggestion on how to record small streams you fish--the Basemap app. What is an affordable, dependable Orvis rod? Why can't I catch the carp in my local pond?  Do you have any suggestions?

View the full article