Fly Fusion Forums

Ichthyophobia

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem...?SDID=4231:1617

I tried taking ladystrange out perch fishing and sadly between the weather and the fish...it was a day of fishing and not catching. Sorry ladystrange...hopefully we can get you out on a better day. As luck had it on our 3rd move we ended up catching a mess of perch. Even Keith caught some. We needed one of the 200 fish days.

Anyways the reason for posting was fishing today reminded me of one of my Beaver ice fishing outing about a year ago. A 6 year old Beaver was fishing with his Dad and while I did not notice anything strange at first I went over to help him catch a fish by setting a hook by hand so that he could reel it in. When I got a perch set I said reel cause you have a fish on. The boy screamed and dropped the rod into the hole. I barely got my hand on it before it sunk away for ever. After that I was more cautious. I set another hook and handed him the rod, cover the hole for any falling gear and said reel...with about 5 feet left to go he caught a glimpse of the fish down the hole...screamed again and started to run... This time he did not let go of the rod as he was told and when the perch came flying out of the hole behind him he started to franticly run, scream and cry simultaneously. With the fish chasing him while he ran... the trauma was so much he never made it back to another fish outing.

Surprisingly enough I looked up fear of fish (Ichthyophobia) and a link that says this fear is quite common. I can not say (thinking back) that I have met a severe case.

Anyways...we did have some fish on the ice so I know ladystrange is not ichthyophobic.

Cheers and Merry Post Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Sun

afraid of fish. no not i. i even had to take the eyeball off my hook. eewww factor but not afraid. it was just kind of gross. i like fish. i even take them off my own line and all. LOL. i must say it was a little odd seeing the frozen fish sticks just laying around as i am used to putting them back. i'm sure i could have fended off a perch attack had one come about.

being a wee bit hungover and things i needed to do, i couldnt hang out as long as i had wanted. although the wind and the snow were a little annoying.

i still had fun. next time i'm going to bring a butt warmer and a few more sweaters.

Guest Sundancefisher
afraid of fish. no not i. i even had to take the eyeball off my hook. eewww factor but not afraid. it was just kind of gross. i like fish. i even take them off my own line and all. LOL. i must say it was a little odd seeing the frozen fish sticks just laying around as i am used to putting them back. i'm sure i could have fended off a perch attack had one come about.

being a wee bit hungover and things i needed to do, i couldnt hang out as long as i had wanted. although the wind and the snow were a little annoying.

i still had fun. next time i'm going to bring a butt warmer and a few more sweaters.

Bring butt warmers for everyone! Nothing says annoying like wind for sure.

I look forward to having you out again soon.

Cheers

Sun

I used to have that fear. Seriously. For the first 2 years I fished, Mike had to unhook the fish and release it for me. I was absolutely freaked out. Loved casting and catching but when I caught all hell broke loose. I dunno what happened - could be that Mike took off out of eyeshot the next year and I had to fend for myself or drag a fish a km to be released :lol:

Guest Sundancefisher
I used to have that fear. Seriously. For the first 2 years I fished, Mike had to unhook the fish and release it for me. I was absolutely freaked out. Loved casting and catching but when I caught all hell broke loose. I dunno what happened - could be that Mike took off out of eyeshot the next year and I had to fend for myself or drag a fish a km to be released :lol:

Sometimes it is just fun to have a slave help you out...