Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - Behind the Scenes with Tom and Crew

Orvis

[Interview starts at 38:00]   This week I interview Mark Melnyk, host and producer of The New Fly Fisher TV show and the co-producer of The Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing Season 2.  We tell some stories about what it's like filming a show and share some nasty tricks we played on cameramen over the past year.  The Orvis show premieres this week on World Fishing Network, but shows will also premiere for the next 13 weeks every Sunday on The Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing You Tube Channel.  Season 2 will also appear on PBS and on Amazon Prime later in the year, once we have all the shows completed.   In the Fly Box this week, we have a couple good tips from listeners (actually adding information to topics previously discussed on podcasts) including more detail on polarized lenses and why tilting your head helps, and also some additional information on keeping your muscles and joints in shape when fishing.   We also have these questions:

• Should I wait to buy a first fly rod now, or should I  wait until I can go to an Orvis FF101 class once the stores re-open?
  • What suggestions do you have to help me tie on those size 20 and smaller flies?
  • I need up to 8 false casts to cast 60 feet.  What am I doing wrong?
  • I enjoyed watching you tie a Clouser Minnow.  How should I fish this fly for smallmouth bass in a river?
  • Why is it not OK to trim hackle on dry flies?
  • What data would you add to a streamside journal?
  • Do you think personal hygiene affects the sense of smell of trout?
  • Once I start traveling again I want to try some saltwater species.  Which ones should I target on my trip?

View the full article