Fly Fusion Forums

Streamers, Do Eyes Make A Difference?

alhuger

I've been trying allot of streamers lately and I've been wondering if eyes on the streamer actually help trigger more takes. I've always neatly mentally divided my streamers (with the eyes of course) from my leaches but realistically I fish both more or less the same in a river. So having said that, I tend to get as many strikes on eyeless leaches as I do on my streamers (with eyes). So I guess I am bit unsure if the eyes are anything more than an esthetic artifice for the fisherman? Anyone have their own opinions on this? Is it species or water specific?

-al

Guest bigbadbrent

I think it's dependent on what you're imitating and where you are. If the fish are more accustomed to eating leechs, they will prefer taking a leech pattern over a baitfish...

However, when i'm bully fishing with streamers, and you can watch what the fish does. If its not sipping on the tail, its slamming the eyes...I've caught WAY more bulls with streamers with eyes, then without.

Same with browns and such, just the eyes aren't as massive..I think eyes in all flies bigger then a size 8 are necessary (stones should have eyes, as well as october caddis)

I tie a couple differnt Clouser Minnow patterns, one with eyes, one without. (the ones w/o are wrapped in lead) I never noticed, but i think they perform eqaully well..the eyes however will offer a little more bling to they fly and maybe draw more attention..or spoke weary fish on a sunny day..???

good question alhuger