Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Goddess

We've got a small TU chapter (maybe a couple of hundred members with 40 very active in stream improvement and other projects). Our annual banquet brings out the best/crazy-est in me. I've tied butterflies and realistic mayflies and crafted a ton for this in the past. No flies for this year. Below is a Fishing Goddess I crafted, inspired in part by the book "Simply Soldered".

The text says "Sometimes I pray to the fishing goddess to get my fly out of trees. It works better than yanking the rod tip." I'll tell you the story of the broken rod later. Or maybe I don't have to ;).

7w9g4du.jpg

6lxivrn.jpg

6khivm1.jpg

*the fish scale piece is the reverse of the script piece and spins by virtue of a snap swivel

Which TU chapter?

Oooh! Nice totem ... I need that some days. Kinda like a fishing rosary.

It's for the Kiap-TU-Wish chapter, which usually meets in Hudson, Wisconsin. Our banquet is at Tartan Park, 3M's golf club in Woodbury, MN on Thursday night. It has drawn around a hundred people and raised about $4000 in past years, which I think is pretty good for a little group. The auction is part garage sale, new art raffle, bake sale, and part retailer donation. We do habitat improvement, stream temperature monitoring, electro-surveys, and generally keep an eye out for threats to cold, clean water, partnering with the DNR and other stake-holders. Kiap is a big source of manpower and support for my annual river clean up, sending half of my volunteers.

PM me if you want a goddess for your local chapter.