Fly Fusion Forums

Sea-Run Cutthroat And Coho

FlyTrapper

Hey guys,

I am going to be on the San Juan Islands the August long weekend, and I'm going to bring the 8wt and 5wt. From what I know I will mostly be fishing from the shore in front of where we are staying, along with some access in the area via rowboat.

I was hoping to do some fishing while I am there, doing some reading it sounds like I may be a little early to be throwing for Coho, but I will try with some Clousers never the less. However the more likely shot at fish is going to be Cuttys. I have some rolled muddlers and I am going to tie some handlebar's and some other flies suggested to me. Maybe chartreuse and pink woolly buggers?

My main question is locating them, both Cuttys and Cohos. We have a pebble beach which fades to kelp in deeper, along with some big rock islands that form a big river situation during the flood and ebb. Maybe a good place to try? Other then that I think all I will be able to do is work my way over the shoreline in the rowboat to maybe another pebble beach, but there is lots of cliffs. Any suggestions would be really helpful, thank you guys.

Nick

Clean pebbles and eel grass are the best and Slack tides for Src and coho. Low slack was always better for me.

As far as I know there are feeders around that area. So who knows, may find some Chinook. Don't have very in depth knowledge of that area. Tie up some heavy deceivers and bring a full sink and try the drop off ledges.

Sportfishing bc with that mark Pendlington (spelling?) has done some episodes on deep water flyfishing for salmon. May want to see if you can't find those.

Hi Nick....If you do some searching in the BC part of the forum you will find several posts I have made over the past number of years concerning both sea runs and coho. Here is one I made last year in that part of the forum. There is another called Island Magic dated Oct.21, 2012. There are also posts in the fly tying section (What are you tying 2015 edition, page 4 shows one of my favourite searun flies) showing some of the patterns I have found to be very effective for these fish. Hope you find what you're looking for.

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=22628

• Like 1

Thank you for the information Bron, very much appreciated. As well, thank you Gary, I will do some digging and see what I can find, going to try that fly you posted about for sure. My apologies for not looking back first before posting.

Thanks again guys,

Nick