Fly Fusion Forums

2 Weight Rod

I am contemplating picking up a 2 weight rod/reel for smaller streams as the wife says I need to give her ideas for a Father's Day present, but was hoping I could get a few opinions from those who have used a 2 weight.

I currently fish a 4 weight on all streams, is there a huge difference between the 2 and 4. Is a 2 weight worth it? I realize casting distance will be less, how large of flies can a 2 weight handle? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Paul,

Depends on where you will fish and your skill level (or aspiring skill level)l. I have fished my 7' 2 wt Winston BIII LS (and Galvan Brookie reel) in small water like Race Horse and similar/smaller creeks (which I won't mention). I tend to fish #14 - #18/#20, but have put on the odd hopper or stimmy (definite harder to cast, but not too bad). It's SUPER fun, but if it's at all windy, it's tough! I guess the trend now is Tenkara, which looks really fun for small water, as well. Either way, I would say, it depends on what water you want to fish (that said, I know guys that fish 2 wts on the Bow, and I'm sure they will chime in). How much use will it see?

Just my two cents

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Peter. My thought would be to use it on little tribs like the race horse, Dutch etc.. And the odd calm day on Mckenzie lake. Good to know that you can still cast the odd stimmy with the 2 weight.

I've seen the tenkara set ups and although it looks like fun, I'm not sure I'm sold on it enough to purchase one.