Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Rental?

Cant really answer your question about how much interest you'll get but your a braver man than I. Not sure what a boat rental is worth but there's someone renting out a hyde on kijiji for $200/day. I would look into waivers and legality issues. I would imagine if you rent a boat out to someone and they drowned themselves they'll have some family member looking to sue. If they damage the boat you'll need something in black and white holding them accountable for the damages or at least an insurance policy to cover it and maybe a fee similar to one you would get when you rent a uhaul. I would assume you would need to keep inspection records for the boat, equipment and safety gear, a bulletproof waiver form leaving you not liable for any personal injury or death type stuff, i would assume the insurance would need to be commercial for the boat so you can rent it out to whomever calls and still be covered by your insurance company if they damage or destroy the boat. I'd also look into how your insurance company would cover the boat while in transport due to the fact that it could be anyone renting the boat and driving it to wherever. Sorry about the rant I was just board and was actually talking to a buddy about this same subject a few days ago.

If you focus on rowing others in your driftboat for a fee, you at least knock out a good portion of the risks associated with letting the boat out of your sight.

But don't kid yourself that you'll be just rowing and not guiding. The oarsman is critical to putting people onto fish, picking out risers, keeping the two anglers working harmoniously, prioritizing water, etc. If you just float aimlessly down the middle with the anglers doing what they want, it's unlikely to be a big-numbers day.

So then your conscience and your dedication to fishing get the better of you, and before you know it you're doing a little of this, suggesting a little of that, providing a few helpful tips...and then you're pretty close to guiding for just a rowing fee. There are far, far worse ways to spend one's days, of course.

• Like 1

Yah i did check into waivers, insurance etc. My boat is insured but i think i would want much more if some one was taking it, thats why i thought of rowing. You guys made good points as well. Not worth the hassle! Might as well just guide Lol

Thanks for your thoughts :)