Fly Fusion Forums

Pike Fishing

BTCA

After more reading and videos watching, I think I am going to start with Titanium. There is one particular brand that interests me which is the Knot 2 Kinky Titanium. All the users are saying that these Titanium wires won't kink and easier to tie to mono and swivel.

By the way, what test wire rating that usually used? I am probably going with 30# 4ft mono or FC leader.

I made 6 leaders last spring using this technique:

The only time I need to replace a leader is to replace the swivel (I made the clasp the breakpoint). Here, in Alberta, I doubt that I would have ever broken a clasp, but in the shield lakes of Saskatchewan and Ontario, there is the occasional permanent snag. Even then, I tie on a new clasp and the leader is good to go.

I am technically using the exact same leader that I started in the spring of 2015, with 5 spares.

• Like 1

Thank you Scel, I saw that video too. I'll get some tackles when I am ready.

Cool. I will make an adjustment this year to my leaders. Right now, for my sink tip (which I primarily use) I use about 1.2m 40lb fluoro, 25cm of Knot2Kinky. I think I will try to taper my leader using 0.6m 40lb fluoro, 0.6m 26lb fluoro, 25cm Knot2Kinky. I am not sure it will make a difference because presentation is not key for pike, but I did find benefits to laying out a nice long cast and good turnover puts the angler in contact with the fly as soon as it hits the water.

But, right now, I do not hazard it will make a big difference for most angling, but I will give it the college try. It will only take an extra minute to build the leader.

Scel, I am planning to furled my own tapered leaders with some 20# or 50# spectre braid that I have from my spinning reels and see if i can add the wire bite in the process.

• Like 1