Fly Fusion Forums

Screw Piles

After having a civil engineer design concrete piles for my deck my contractor suggested screw piles. I took the specs to my civil engineer who approved them probably because he worked in the o&g industry where they have been used for a decade. Didn't have to rip up my lawn and was able to start deck construction right away. My deck is heavy with a full roof connected to the house and a full outdoor kitchen which is now three years old. I highly recommend screw piles.

• Like 1

Hire a bobcat to dig your holes for 10 bucks a hole. 4 ft deep fill them with concrete and cap it off a little above grade and put the galvanized post saddles in the wet concrete. If you want to make it easy get a cement mixer. Go up from there with pressure treated 6x6. Just saying you could probably get a guy to do this for you for less than half the cost of screw piles. Problem with screw piles is that if the soil sucks, you will have to go way deeper to achieve the bearing you need. That extra cost is passed on to you. Do a 10 or 12 inch concrete pile 4 ft down youll be good. If you have a roof going on it you may want to look at a footing under the pile but 99 % of the time its not necessary.