Fly Fusion Forums

Float Time This Time Of Year

porto

Hello,

Planing on heading down to Calgary for a float with the boy tomorrow. Just wondering with the water level and flows averaging 65ms at this time of year. Can I get a rough time table from fish creek to mc kinnon? I've done a bit of research on old messages post on here and came up with 8-10hr time table. I would like to stop 5-6 times at about 20-30 mins session for a bit of fishing for my self and make it in before dark. My decision by morning is do I take in from fish creek or play it safe and head straight down to police and depart... I know we're losing daylight daily and I'm thinking no later then 9:00pm off the water! Maybe even 8:30...

Thanks

Porto

We did a float from police to mckinnons last weekend. Water was really low. We launched at 6 am and pulled off the water around 4 pm. We stopped a few times to fish some pockets.

Mind you I did the police to mckinnons float a few weeks ago and we did it in 3.5 hours. This was forward paddling the majority of the way

Hello,

Planing on heading down to Calgary for a float with the boy tomorrow. Just wondering with the water level and flows averaging 65ms at this time of year. Can I get a rough time table from fish creek to mc kinnon? I've done a bit of research on old messages post on here and came up with 8-10hr time table. I would like to stop 5-6 times at about 20-30 mins session for a bit of fishing for my self and make it in before dark. My decision by morning is do I take in from fish creek or play it safe and head straight down to police and depart... I know we're losing daylight daily and I'm thinking no later then 9:00pm off the water! Maybe even 8:30...

Thanks

Porto

Sunset is 9:09. You will still have 30 or so minutes of twilight to see.

We did a float from police to mckinnons last weekend. Water was really low. We launched at 6 am and pulled off the water around 4 pm. We stopped a few times to fish some pockets.

Mind you I did the police to mckinnons float a few weeks ago and we did it in 3.5 hours. This was forward paddling the majority of the way

Ditto.....did Police-McKinnons a few weeks ago @100m3/s and we were 11hrs(06:00-17:00) with a 1/2 dozen stops on banks and islands along the way.I would think 22x to McK is a pretty ambitious undertaking in this low flow water....figger on an additional 3hrs minimum for 1/2 doz stops and it's gonna be a longgggg day.

Thanks guys for the inbut...

Had a nice float yesterday but fishing was a bit slow.

Got to fish creek at 8:30am and started my float at 9:00, Got to police at 11:00 with one stop. Continue the float and stop for about 5 times I guess roughy for 20-30min session. Arrived at McKinnon 8:00pm! Wow that wasn't too bad. I was a bit worry about time but could of made it a longer evening. Did not get dark till after 9:30... Flows were 78m3/s all day which made it a joyable float for a newbie like my self...