Fly Fusion Forums

Need Help Replicating A Fly

RedBeard

Fellow tiers,

A friend of mine sent me pictures of this pattern and he didn't have the recipe or step by step.. When I try to recreate it I crowd the eye, trap hackle and fur in the whip finish, and can't seem to get my fly to look and float like this one in the pictures. For materials I'm basically tying the body as a pheasant tail nymph, then lay deer hair at about the thorax, and make a few loose wraps then cinch it down and finish with a few wraps around the hair clump to make it more like a post. I finish by tying in my hackle at the point where I tied in my deer hair, wrap it and whip finish it.

I find I always trap hackle in the eye which makes it harder to thread on the river! Any help on how some of you would go about replicating this pattern would be awesome!

Sample 1

PSX_20150708_221345_zpsik5arjk1.jpg

Sample 2 floating like an emerger.. this one seems to have a maribou body?

PSX_20150708_221241_zps4vifp3sy.jpg

My tie.. tough to see, eye crowded, lack of definition between hackle and hair, will probably float like the samples but just not as tidy

PSX_20150708_221619_zpsg5pgmhrm.jpg

Looks like a version of the Quigley cripple pattern. Google the name and you'll find lots of videos and step by step instructions. Here's a couple of photos of a green drake version that I tie. This is what it should look like before the hackle.

R5600.jpg

And this is after the hackle is tied in.

R5601.jpg

• Like 1