Fly Fusion Forums

The Necessities

sirocco

Hi Guys,

I'm new to tying this year and I'm hoping to improve on my skill by learning the most common/best dry flies for southern AB streams. I'm hoping you can give me a list of the necessities, what every person should have in their box, so I can learn them over the winter. So far I have:

1. Elk Hair Caddis

2. Griffith's Gnat

3. Adams

I know how to tie the first two, but I haven't learned the adams yet. I'd love to hear the others you would recommend!

Cheers

Erik

Guest bigbadbrent

My Top 5 Dries for SA.

1. Stimulator

2. EHC

3. Parachute Adams

4. Daves Hopper

5. Humpy

Those arent in order, as i dont have an order for them....i just know these are normally stocked in my box, and in most others

You could fish most (if not all streams) with 2 dries, and 3 nymphs really, to success

1. Stimulator in all sizes (big - hopper/stonefly) (small - caddis)

2. Adams (all sizes again..imitates all mayflies pretty much in the right size)

Nymphs : PT, PN, GRHE (exactly what flytyer said)

Hawgstoppah either created a thread or added to a thread awhile back listing the top dries, nymphs, and streamers we should all have for southern alberta waters. For the life of me.. I can't find it now. I'll keep looking!

Try looking in the old archive of the original forum it's there somewhere

oddly, i have found that any variant of a micky fin streamer works well in most rivers. and egg head leeches for lakes in spring

You need to get out more!

Streamers and Leeches indeed!

Get tying more damsels for spring along with PTNs for sub-surface and then onto the Griffiths and GRHE Paras for the surface work.

:rolleyes:

i definately need to get out more. lol

let me know how the headlight damsels work.

but seriously. other than 1 fish, all my fish on the bow have been with streamers. and in july in my favourite spot, they were hitting on a few dries and the rest were little streamers that looked like rainbow fry. i dunno. it works