Fly Fusion Forums

Tube Tyers - Monster Cones

GregoryV

I do a pile of tying on tubes and continual run into this issue. Metal monster cones, metal sonic discs, pro cones, etc - when finishing the fly with these specific types of cones, constantly run into cones loosening or shearing off small scandi tube melted lip. Standard coneheads, soft/plastic cones do not cause this. Looking of opinions on maintaining the cone on the end of the tube. I have tried superglue, goop, head cement, etc. Epoxy is too hard (and even 5 min takes too long to cure - tubes don't fit well on a curing wheel!?). UV cured glues/ resins have same inflexibility problem once cured. Thoughts?

Tube weight is not the issue. I rarely tie weighed tubes (metal tubes instead on traditional scandi tubes). Rather I like to add monster cones on some flies, especially for fall steelheading. Big problem is permanently attaching metal monster cones (whatever brand) to tubes and maintaining the fusion. Often the cone will wiggle free or outward bust the lip off the melted tube. Line speed on a skagit obviously is a stress on these tubes!