Fly Fusion Forums

Side Scan Fish Finder

I mostly fish on a very large lake with very long narrow shoreline shoals with extreme drop offs. Fish tend to cruise as expected on the drop and shoals. I find that the finder I'm using now is adequate for determining depth and structure but that's about it. Fish tend to really move around and rarely stay in any one place for very long. I'm thinking that a side scan would help in locating pods of fish as they cruise along the drop. Plan would be to troll about 50' off the drop till locating fish than anchor up. Action slows down or none existent just keep moving along. Has anyone used a fishin buddy 120 for this purpose.

Ray

I think you might like a product called Deeper Smart Fish Finder. I bought one and used it for fishing from the shore line and from a float tube.

It basically works with your Android or Iphone, very neat and easy to use. I didn't use extra fishing pole to throw it, I threw it by hand with just a spinning reel or lines peeled off the reel.

I think you might like a product called Deeper Smart Fish Finder. I bought one and used it for fishing from the shore line and from a float tube.

It basically works with your Android or Iphone, very neat and easy to use. I didn't use extra fishing pole to throw it, I threw it by hand with just a spinning reel or lines peeled off the reel.

That looks like a great product, does it require a minimum depth?

I'd be curious to see what it picks up if you floated that down a run or attached that to a drift boat on the bow?

I think it requires a minimum depth of 30cm, I am not quite sure. There are plenty of youtube videos about it.

There was a video of a guy casting it upstream and letting it floats pass a fishing hole.

check it out.