Fly Fusion Forums

Question About Island Fishing And Accommodation

Hi everyone

Finally settled my spring break vacation debate; going to the Island. Will be hooking up with the kind folks at the Nile Creek Fly shop, couple days guided fishing for steelhead.

So, got a couple of questions:

1.) Anyone got a favorite accommodation they'd like to share near Bowser/ Qualicum Beach. Or futher away, Comox and more south?

2.) During the time I am not steelheading, I'll be bringing my 6 weight for sea run cutts. Is there any special flies I need for sea run cutts? Will thye be hitting dries last week of March early April? Will the standard assortment of flies - dries, nymphs, wets, streamers etc. No special secret sauce BC flies needed? :)

Also, don't want your secret spots of course, but if there's classic, well known rivers I shouldn't miss, feel free to say so. :)

Thanks in advance.

Smitty

I grew up on Vancouver island pm me if you like on where abouts you plan on fishing mostly and ill hook you up with some spots and or places to stay depending on region. Comox tho if your looking for nice resort type lodge check out the King Fisher. Tofino has beautiful resorts and hotels. Port alberni has decent places and in Parksville the tigh-na-mara or pacific sands. These are all on higher end of price tho. Pm tho if you want more

• Like 1

There are quite a few nice little motels right at Qualicum Bay (2 minutes from the shop) Kingfisher is definitely nice and only 10 minutes or so north of the shop. Best part about the Qualicum Bay properties is you are right on the water and there is always decent cutty fishing right there. Courtney will drag you into some remote rivers so be prepared for a couple pre-dawn to dark days but they will be worth it. You will be too early for trout fishing in the Elk River (Campbell River area) but the Little Qualicum usually holds some decent fish year round if you are willing to walk a bit. You could always bring a float tube and check out Spider Lake (just west of Qualicum Bay) Bass may be active depending on temps and there are some decent trout in there as well. Check your regs.

As far as flies go, the shop will have the latest and greatest for the area, if not the boys will whip a few up for you. Rolled Muddlers, small California Neals, or any small alevin pattern will probably be working off the beaches.

Colin

• Like 2