Fly Fusion Forums

The Life Of An Alberta River Trout.

PlayDoh

I'm wondering if there are some 'Bow river biologists', or otherwise, that could explain what a typical day is like for a trout, throughout the seasons? In general terms, obviously, and I know there are plenty of books on trout, yet sometimes a few suggestions and explanations can make things easier to understand practically. In other words, I can read tons of books on trout, but still not completely understand where or how to catch them at the river.

I'm still navigating through the numerous learning curves, and I've come to understand that Fly Fishing successfully on your own takes a good knowledge in a few different aspects. Entomology, Water (temp, depth, speed), Water (composition & food), and the fish behaviour. All 5 trout I've caught with my fly rod have taught me something specific, and I may not have caught any without suggestions, books, and advice.

I've just recently had a few Entomology epiphanies, like midge/chironomids, mayflies, and caddis flies as staples in trout diet. Regarding what they actually look like, and realizing the times I've seen hatches in the past, aka "the weird moth-like bugs were nuts at the lake". Reading and understanding things in theory rarely instantly equate in to a complete ability to use it practically. You can understand 'Ohm's law' yet have no idea how to wire a fuse box, for example.

I haven't been to the fish hatchery in a while and I'm not sure if the local trout spawn, or if the entire population is sustained. Do the trout in the Bow river migrate? Can trout make it though the weirs? Is a trouts life mainly spent in one general area, or is it a random, journey mostly spent traveling downstream? It wouldn't surprise me to learn that its still a mystery what a trout does entirely (time for the trout 'critter cam'), but their basic functions and life is something I'd like to understand better.

Book suggestions on trout info relevent to western Canada would also be appreciated.

Guest bigbadbrent

The trout and whitefish migrate to spawn.

The browns spawn in late october and november, and they move up to in the city of calgary. They can make it over the 17th ave weir, but i do not believe they can get passed the Bearspaw dam (or carseland). The rainbows and cutties and such move up the highwood river to spawn in spring, which then splits into the highwood and sheep, which they both go into.

trout - eat eat eat eat eat, avoid predator, eat eat eat eat eat

they're pretty much just energy factories, like most animals, their main thing is to eat and survive, and when they feel the urge to spawn, they move to where they need to

Hey Playdoh,

Typically a trout will rest and eat. Then they migrate (or not) to spawn. Then back to eating and resting. It is all about energy. The key is to understand what they eat, what time of year, and where they rest. A big trout will be in a good resting spot where they can hide and where food is very close by. Seams where 2 currents come together (less energy used to stay in that spot) bring food in and also break up the water hiding trout from a view above. Log jams, same thing. Dirty water and dark allow trout to go shallow and eat under the cover of low visability. All this is about energy, understand where food is, what food is common, and where that food will go near a place of easy resting.

There are a couple of really great books and lots of information on the internet.

First off, check out the Alberta SRD website on fishing. It has great info on Alberta fish.

For books, Robert Behnke's Trout and Salmon of North America is an excellent book with tons of good info and great pictures.

Dr. Behnke is one of the worlds top trout experts.

There are also a book called Fishes of Alberta that you can pick up at a university or college book store.

Jim McLennan (on this board) has 3 excellent books that cover all aspects of western waters. I highly recommend you pick them up (at least Trout Streams of Alberta)

There are also authors such as Dave Hughes, Ed Angle, and Vincent Marino that write about trout "getting" tactics.

Ask on the board about the bugs, and you'll get some great answers. Check Westfly.com for the entomology section. It relates bugs to flies that work, and folks here at FCC can let you know if those bugs are in the Bow.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Wow, great info guys. "Ask a pro" indeed.

I almost didn't ask about the weirs, since I thought any weir of them would be impossible. BBB, since the fish on the lower Bow can get past the dam, that means all lower bow Bows are hatched and don't spawn? I'm sure its obvious, but I'm unclear on spawn-less trout, and all the hatchery details.

I've mainly fished lakes for Pike and Walleye and they are quite predictable. Water temp & visibility, wind/current, bait-fish, and structure are all you really need to know to track them down. Now from my limited experience with trout, they seem to be more unpredictable and nomadic. I've 'expected' trout to be where I found them before recently, since the location is perfect, yet theres 'nobody home'. I would think 'perfect spots' are valuable real-estate and considering 2500 fish per KM, so I've read, I find it puzzling there vacant.

Say I catch a Bow on the lower bow, give him a smooch, take his pic and let him go. Does that trout mainly spend his life occupying a certain stretch of river, aside from spawning. And since I'm also 'assuming' the lower Bows don't spawn does that make their lives unique in regards to territory? Or will they just swim where ever their bread crumb size noodle take them, and I'm giving them too much credit?

Again, thanks for the info and resources, much appreciated.

With some exceptions, the trout in flowing water in Alberta are "wild" meaning that they may have been stocked some time ago, but are naturally reproducing now. A unique and excellent aspect of Alberta's fisheries.

The hatcheries provide trout for conservation reasons (helping native stocks) and stocking the numerours put and take lakes among other things.

"Lower bows" will spawn up tributaries and in the Bow river.

Sometimes when nobody is home, trout are just not taking your fly... they still may be there. Also depending on type of fish, time of year/day, weather... a fish will stay in the same area. browns seem to be territorial, bows move around a bit more. Its very fish specific.

Also expect soon that the weir will be alot more fish friendly in the near future.

Trout and other fish all respond to varying conditions in consistent ways. For example, during the winter, trout will do almost all of their feeding during a couple of hours each day. That period is usually centered on the warmest hours of the day, ie sometime between 1200 and 1600. Conversely, during the summer, fish in the Bow will do less feeding during bright sunlight. Fishing deeper runs, shaded areas, or ,best of all, on cloudy days will greatly increase your success rate. Another great example of this is the evening and night fishing during July and August. Make use of the resources that others have already noted, talk to people on the water, and observe what's going on on the water while you're out there. One of the best ways to learn how to predict where fish will be feeding and when on your regular waters is keep a detailed fishing diary. Include notes on weather and water conditions, what sort of places you found fish and the successful flies, hatches you saw, and numbers and sizes of fish. The reason that I say numbers and sizes isn't for bragging purposes, but because large and small fish often feed in different areas and ways at the same time. You will notice that a number of posts mention catching a certain large fish, and often losing him, at the same location on successive days. Although trout do move around in a stream, they tend to use certain holds for long periods of time. If they are the dominant fish in a stretch, they don't get chased out by others and will then stay there. That means that a large fish will usually be at the same location you found him for a period of time until conditions change and make him move. You may not catch him but he's probably there. There was one 22" brown at Southland that I caught 3 times in two years, out of the same run. He was there most of the other times I fished there, but I didn't find him feeding, or he was wise to my tricks. He had a deformed snout that was very distinctive, and made identification easy. Much easier was a bull at Lower K I caught on two successive days at the same spot, on the same fly. Those tags make ID certain. Learn the patterns of fish in the waters that you fish and your success will increase steadily. There is so much to learn if you want to, that it will be a lifetime of enjoyment. Fish in the Bow do migrate in consistent patterns. Most spawning size rainbows will move up into the Highwood system and spawn sometime between late March and early June, hence fishing near the Highwood confluence around that ime is generally good for rainbows. Browns between the Bearspaw dam and the WID weir mostly spawn in the Elbow within the city, hence the closure of that stretch in the fall. Same thing, fishing near the confluence will bring a high likelihood of success for browns at that time of year.

Try to find a copy of the Brian Clarke and John Goddard book, The Trout and The Fly.

It was published in 1980 and was based on observations of trout behaviour on the Chalk streams of England. Do not let this put you off as the insight into the trout's behaviour is international. It cover feeding habits, lies, movement in water and is as applicable today as it was on the day it was written.

You can learn more from this book than most others as it is about the trout and the fly and how to understand the relationship better with a view to landing more fish.

ISBN 0 510-22534-9 Published by Ernest Benn Limited, London and Tonbridge

A journal is excellent advice, thanks. I've heard it before but haven't thought of all the aspects of it as you explained. I have a decent memory but nothing compared to notes. Thanks also for the info on trout Flyslinger, it was precisely what I was wondering.

Thanks albannachxcuileag for the book recommendation for The Trout and The Fly, sounds like the perfect title. I actually like dated or older books, preferably the 60's.

I just watched a instructional DVD named 'The Underwater World of Trout Volume 2: Feeding Lies' and it was made by someone who asked themselves the same things I did when I wrote this question. It films and explains almost every detail of how salmonid move and the river they live in. Its almost entirely full of crystal clear underwater footage of river trout of all kinds.

From the 'pecking order' as FS explained, to Trout "Yawning" and taking leaves and twigs intentionally. I was amazed at some of the things they explained. Trout use less energy to maintain position in fast, turbulent water then they do in slow moving water. Like a sh1thawk hovering in gusting wind by orienting itself alone, yet constantly. Trout facing downstream in reverse currents that would amaze even hydrologists.

I can learn a lot from books and advice, thanks to the many who share their knowledge and experiences, yet nothing compares to seeing it with your own eyes. Seeing firsthand how fish feed and maintain position by obstructions has clarified so much of what I've been reading. Seeing a trout take something it knows isn't food in to its mouth, and spit it out, all undetectable by holding a rod 20' away, is amazing.

All I can say is that after watching that video alone, my eyes are open. I'm kinda a nature nut and I love watching animals, aside from the zoo. lol. I think thats part of the appeal of Fly Fishing to me. Not only am I amidst a moving current among wild animals, but I can actually see and observe the fish in their environment. Although I love lake fishing, most of the time the fish seemingly appear for the abyss, from a world I'll never get to see or be a part of.

Almost all fishing shows and videos now a days seem to incorporate some kind of underwater footage which I think is awesome. I don't think I actually buy one of those fancy underwater cameras, since that might take away the challenge and surprise I'm afraid. Yet observing fish feed, move and live underwater is something I find interesting and I think my knowledge as a river fishermen has improved from it.