Fly Fusion Forums

New Home Foundation Height Question

Good afternoon all,

I built a new home last year (Riverstone of Cranston) and I have a few concerns:

My house is lower than either of my neighbors. There doesn't seem to be a reason for this. It is a bit of a headache with drainange and my backyard is not quite as flat as it should be. It's basically unuasable as it is a 10%slope (back to front). It is supposed to be 4-5%

Plot plan grades and final grade cert from the city do not really match up. My interpretation of the plot plan (grades) is that the house was to be sitting higher.

Is it possible that they dug the hole too deep?

Builder is not exactly overly forthcoming with info.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue? How do I verify that the forms were poured at the correct elevation? Should be a before and after survey I would think but this is all new to me.

I can attach the plan and cert if anyone should feel like having a look.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Scoob

Builders are a hard bunch to pin down except for a few good ones but most in the industry have the policy of deny deny deny and then lie. Until you prove it they will follow that policy to their dying breath. " Its nothing personal against you its how they protect themselves from unrealistic expectations from the customer" (thats how they justify it and sleep at night)

• Like 1

I'm not sure exactly where you are in Riverstone, but if there is other construction going on close to you still, find an excavator digging a basement and flip him $20 to laser the elevation of the top of you foundation. He'll be set off of a local benchmark to hit the elevations he's looking for where he's digging, as long as it's close to your place he should be able to laser yours at the same time without changing his setup. Don't tell him the number your looking for, just ask him to give you the elevation he measures.

Alternatively, you could try to get some of the benchmark from a builder or a contractor in the area might give them to you. They are brass caps in the sidewalks normally, might be others around. Then depending on how close you are to them you could do the old string and level technique for a rough number or rent a laser from Home Depot and rough survey it yourself.

Have gone almost full circle and talked to developer and builder as well as gathered info from great people here on the forum and lots of other people. I have come to one conclusion, that being that my house and my neighbours houses were built according to the plot plans. (with one exception)

What I don't understand is why they were designed that way (6" ) difference. Builder says that is a question for the developer. Asked developer for a subdivision plan, got a totally random comment in return (email).

I also don't understand how my backyard can physically get to the grade that it is supposed to be. It looks physically impossible to top it up. Will discuss with builder when we meet.

Getting back to the one exception, my plot plan and final grade cert are very different in my opinion. Especially the swale in the backyard. I believe the elevations are correct, but the grades do not seem to reflect what is really going on in my yard.

I will try to post the plot plan and final grade if anyone is interested in comparing the two.

Thanks everyone.