Fly Fusion Forums

New Outfit

marshall

I've been doing a little research lately and I'm planning on putting together a new 4wt. outfit for next year. Right now I've only been using a 6 wt. and after a couple days out using a friends 4wt. I love the feel of something lighter in some situations.

Lately I've been leaning towards a Scott A2 series, though I am some what stumped on the pros and cons of using a 8'0 vs. a 9'0 length and vice verse. With the exception of a shorter rod being useful in tight situations and a longer rod making mends easier, are there things I should consider when picking a length? Will the length play a part in line control?

As always….thanks for your input guys!

I've always found that a shorter rod feels more accurate in closer range.

Where are you planning on using this rod? If it's mostly for fishing dries on smaller streams, I think an 8' would be a good choice. If you want a dry fly and light nymphing rod for the Bow or Crowsnest, a 9' might be a better choice.

Your best bet is to cast both rods and decide for yourself. Go into a shop on a quiet day and test drive them.

I would also say that if you're planning on using this rod for small stuff, check out a 3 weight. Don A will tell you that most #3s you buy today are #4s anyway. A short "fast" #3 like a St. Croix LU or a Sage VPSL are fabulous rods for the type of fishing a lot of folks on this board love to do.

Guest bigbadbrent

If you're going to get a 4 weight, but dont mind the money..get a Sage Z-axis, the single nicest rod i've had the opportunity to cast (im getting myself a 5 weight in the spring, if that tells you anything).

The A2 is also a great rod, as are all scotts. They're a little on the slower side for me, but depending what your fishing for, and where, it shouldnt be a big deal.

I like my 8' 4 weight, and use it on the bow all the time, though a longer rod does give you a bit more line control, especially at long range.