Fly Fusion Forums

High Nutrient Streams

I have been doing some reading and just want a couple of opinions.

Would the streams out by Sundre and Caroline be considered high nutrient streams? I am thinking of the spring fed ones, such as the Little Red Deer, and its trips. Dogpound, Harold creek, grease creek.

And how do the above compare to Prairie creek and Staufer? I have not really spent much time on the last 2.

One more thing. Anyone ever fish Beaverdam creek?

Thanks

TM

I laughed about the sarcastic endorsement of Beaver Dam. I live near the Beaver Dam Golf Course around Madden, and my twice-weekly bike ride takes me across Beaver Dam creek as well as along it for a good stretch. Every ride, no matter the month, I look intently for rise forms. In hundreds of rides over 10 years I've seen one possible (not confirmed) rise. Lots of muskrats and waterfowl.

Today, though, I just about fell off my bike when I saw an incredible rise form, that is to say, the gentlest dimple followed by large waves slapping both banks. I stopped to watch and, sure enough, there was a large to massive fish working. As in, an inch of dainty snout, then big ripples, then three seconds later a tail poking out two feet from where the snout had been. The fish moved around quite a bit and rose about eight times before I headed onward.

I was just about jumping out of my shoes. It was well onto private land, though, and I was far from home with just my bike.

• Like 1